Chapter 5

Monday 25th November 1963

The Briefing Room

10am

Jack had just finished giving a statement on the events of the past three days. He’d talked about Oswald’s death but he hadn’t mentioned much about the condition of Jackie.

“I’ll take a few questions.” Jack said after taking a sip of water.

Jackie was watching in the residence. She was miserable. He told her to take some time off and go to the Cape but she wanted him to come too but he wouldn’t listen.

Her eyes focused back on the TV. “Yes?” Jack said to a reporter.

“How is Mrs. Kennedy? There has been no real report of how she is or what wounds she actually sustained, the most we know is she was badly injured.”

Jack was hesitant. “Mrs. Kennedy is doing okay.”

“What does that mean?”

Jackie’s lips trembled. He couldn’t do it. He couldn’t tell them what was wrong with her; she knew he hadn’t accepted it. He was trying to block it out and pretend everything was fine. She chucked the remote at the wall and put the TV off. She’d had enough of him.

“I can assure you I will get Mrs Kennedy’s doctor to make a statement for tomorrow.” He said before quickly leaving the room.

He leaned against the wall in the hallway and closed his eyes. “Mr. President?” Kenny asked.

“What?”

“Mrs. Kennedy wants to see you.”

He groaned. “Shit.”

When he walked into Jackie’s bedroom, exactly ten minutes later he could feel the coldness of her. “Jackie?”

She turned around. Her eyes were red with pain. “You’re weak Jack… you couldn’t even tell them what happened. It’s like you’re ashamed off me!”

“Jackie….”

She cried.

“It’s not like that.” He put an arm around her. “I love you; I just don’t want the press making fun of you.”

She nodded. “Okay.” However, she didn’t believe him.