Chapter 12

Friday 7th February 1964

The Carlyle Hotel, NY

Jackie was sitting with her doctor. “Well let’s see the great news you told me about on the phone.” Dr Walsh smiled.

Jackie obliged and stood up with ease. Dr Walsh smiled. “I’m very impressed, how do your legs feel?”

She looked at the ground. “Weak.”

“Well if we strengthen them with exercises I think you’ll be able to walk soon.”

Jackie smiled. “I need to be able to walk by the middle of March.”

Dr Walsh raised an eyebrow. “Why?”

“We’re going to Russia and I want to walk down the famous staircase in the Winter Palace like the Romanovs.”

Dr Walsh nodded. “Ok, I’m sure we’ll be okay.”

4pm

Jackie sat on the floor of the living room. She was doing some stretches the doctor had recommended. She was also watching the coverage of the Beatles arriving on TV.

“Mrs. Kennedy?” Someone knocked on the door.

She knew it had to be someone she knew otherwise they wouldn’t have got passed security. “Come in.”

Jack appeared with a bunch of red lilies. “For you.” He smiled.

She blushed. “They’re lovely. Thank you.”

He put them on the table. “Why are you on the floor?”

Jackie pulled herself up on to the sofa. “No reason I was just stretching.” She wanted to keep it a surprise.

He nodded and went to their room. Jackie poured him a whisky. He sat down beside her. “It’s nice just to be alone.”

She giggled. “Yes.”

His lips crashed against hers. She gasped and wrapped her arms around him. He smiled and nuzzled her neck.

“I love you.” Jackie whispered.

“Love you too.”