Chapter 6

Monday 2nd December 1963

Jackie was sitting staring out of the window. She’d made Jack go to Camp David for Thanksgiving. She couldn’t cope with his family judging her, she knew they would. She felt isolated. She couldn’t go anywhere on her own and she was convinced Jack was straying again.

She was deep in thought when Clint came in. He cleared his throat. “Mrs. Kennedy?”

She turned around to face him. “Yes, Mr. Hill?” He was the only one who hadn’t treated her any differently since what happened in Dallas. She respected him for that.

“The President would like you to come to the Oval. He wants to see you.” He said.

Jackie looked at him. “Tell him, if he can remember I can’t. It’s difficult to get downstairs.” Her voice hinted with anger.

“Yes Ma’am.” He quickly left feeling her wrath.

Jackie was still sitting staring at the window when Jack came in five minutes later. “Jackie, you could have got the elevator down.”

She shrugged. “What did you want?”

“I wanted to let you know I’m going on a state visit to Russia next year for talks with Khrushchev.”

She looked at him. “Do I not get to come?”

“Jackie….. I didn’t think you’d want to come like this….”

“Like what, Jack?” She snapped.

He froze. “Nothing…..”

“No your ashamed of me like this… admit it… your whole family is!”

“Jackie…..”

“Don’t Jackie me!” She yelled. “I know you’ve been cheating on me again… I’m not stupid…. How long will it be before you have me completely cut off like Rosemary?!”

Jack snapped. “Jackie! Calm down!”

“You’re my husband you’re meant to support me.” She said with tears welling in her eyes. “You haven’t touched me since it happened.”

He sighed. “Maybe you need a break, away from the press.”

“Away from the press?! It was my idea when this happened, but you said you didn’t want to take time off.”

He took a deep breath. “Why don’t you go to Hammersmith Farm and I’ll join you at the weekend?”

“Oh yes just get rid of me so you can have your affairs.” She snapped before leaving the room. She went to pack. The kids were still in Hyannis Port.

Later that day Jackie flew to Rhode Island she was upset and angry with Jack. The one time she truly needed him he went back to his old self.