Chapter 8

Hammersmith Farm

Thursday 5th December 1963

Janet was standing in the kitchen when the doorbell went. “Who in God’s name is that?” She mumbled walking to the front door. She answered it but her face fell in shock.

Jack smiled softly at his mother in law. He was standing holding a bouquet of pink roses. “Hi.”

“Jack, come in.”

He nodded and closed the door. “How is Jackie?” He asked awkwardly. Janet turned and looked at him. “She’s hardly left her room, she hasn’t spoken to anyone.”

Jack bit his lip. “I’m going to go see her.”

“Is that why you’re here?” Janet asked.

“No… I need to apologise to her.” He replied before heading upstairs. He walked steadily along the corridor to Jackie’s room.

He knocked on the door softly but there was no reply. Worried, he opened the door. However, he relaxed when he saw her sitting on the balcony. He stepped out beside her, into the winter sun. “Hey Kid.” He smiled.

She turned startled to look at him. “Bunny….” Her eyes welled with tears. She quickly hid her head in her hands as she cried.

“Jackie,” He said softly hunching down beside her wheelchair. “I love you and I’m sorry for what I said.” He put an arm around her. She sobbed into his chest. He tried to calm her.

“Jack…” She squeezed his hand looking into his eyes. “I didn’t mean what I said about you cheating on me and…. About Rosemary… I was just upset.”

“No I’m sorry for ignoring you; I should have been more supportive.” He held her really close.

She wiped her eyes and nodded. Jack smiled and held up the flowers. “These are for you.”

Her lips quivered. “Thank you, they’re beautiful.”

He rubbed her back. “Jackie, I love you.” He whispered.

“I know.” She smiled weakly.

He took the handles and pushed her inside. “What are you doing?” She asked confused.

“We need to spend some time together.”

She nodded.

Jack closed the door and helped her on to the bed. She rolled gingerly on to her side, so she was facing him. He put a hand on her back. “I just didn’t know how to handle it….” He admitted.

She rested her head on his chest. “We’ll learn, Jack.”

He slowly stroked her neck before caressing her cheek. She giggled and stared at him. He moved closer to her and let his lips crash against hers. She moaned softly.

She pulled back and nuzzled his neck. “My Bunny.” She whispered. He blushed and his hand ran down her back. He grazed her thigh. Jackie didn’t react she moved her head to avoid his gaze. “I can’t feel that.”

He quickly moved his hand back to her side and held her. “Sorry.” He whispered before kissing her neck. “Jack!” She gasped in surprise. He giggled and continued.