love cuts like a knife, or a sword in this case - 18

a/n: this chapter contains heavy violence, gore, and mentions of death. tread with caution

also, thank you so much for 1.9k reads, i can't wait for what's to come!! i hope you're all enjoying the story so far!!

✞━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━✞

A week had passed since you'd gotten shot. Laying low and barely leaving the bar, you were able to keep sort of a low profile. Whoever had shot you hadn't killed you, but the lack of appearance from you must've made them think otherwise.

The window had been covered heavily with padding and sheets to prevent anyone from looking in and possibly seeing you. The door had also been thoroughly equipped with new locks and security measures to help you stay safe. The bar overall had been decked out with some new security.

Your wound had healed up nicely and channeling some nen from a healer, you sped up the recovery process quite a bit.

But you were tired of sitting and waiting. Bryce needed to pay, or at least come clean about whatever he'd been hiding. It was obvious he had something on what happened to your father, and he knew something about whatever you'd found, so much so that he needed you dead for it.

It was late, and you were wide awake. Feitan was asleep on a spare mattress Roky had given you since he wasn't too keen on the two of you sharing a bed, at least while you were recovering.

Slinking out of bed silently, you gathered some clothes and left to change. You were getting something done.

You'd hoped Feitan had been out of it enough to not hear you leave. So far you'd done a pretty good job and made it all the way downstairs without confrontation. The next task was getting out of the bar.

The back door was your quickest route, but without a key, you couldn't secure the locks after you left, and someone would notice sooner or later. However, there was also another option.

A window, near the back door, only secured with a lock would be an easier way.

Unlocking the window and sliding the large glass pane upward, you slid out of it onto the concrete road of the alleyway. You slid the window back down and prayed no one would notice it. You began your trek through the shadows toward the Lazarus estate.

On your way, you stopped by your apartment and equipped yourself with all sorts of things. This included some weapons and a change of clothes, something you could fight in.

After that, you hid your presence and approached your target.

The entire thing felt like one big bounty hunt. Your target was Bryce Lazarus. He'd be staying in the largest room, the suite meant for the current head of the family. It was the largest room in the west wing of the estate.

Thanks to the internet, you were able to access floor plans and vent access blueprints of the entire house, and you had your route mapped out.

Dodging security was your biggest issue, but since they didn't use nen, they didn't even notice your presence, let alone detect anything when you snuck into one of the air vents on the outskirts of the house.

Back at the bar, Feitan shifted in his sleep, deciding to just wake up. Rolling over, he glanced at the bed.

His eyes widened and he shot straight up, darting over, insisting his eyes were playing tricks on him. But they weren't. You were gone. But just where the hell had you gone?

Darting downstairs, he didn't bother checking around for anything, he could find you if he really tried. There had to be something that would lead him to you.