Chapter Two

•  Silva  •

"What did I say?"

The girl with a clear umbrella turns her head. Her cheeks dust a pale shade of pink, bordering on red from how freezing tonight is.

Irisa blinks owlishly, then a smile stretches widely.

"You again," she says.

There is absolutely nothing happy about meeting her again. After last night's unnecessary encounter, I had a restless night.

"Why didn't you listen?" I gripe when she spins around to continue her walk.

The corner of my eye twitches. Stifling down a hiss, my tongue rest idly over my canine as a brief flash of pain chase away the unprovoked coil in my stomach.

"Walk with me, Mr. Silva," she offers without looking behind her.

Against my better judgment, or maybe it's a moment of weakness when her smile flashes somewhere in my mind, I find myself beside her.

"Now you don't have to yell at me," she comments joyously. "I have you as my knight in shining armor."

I'm the last person who can and wants to claim that title.

"I'm not here to protect you," I counter dismissively.

The naïve smile stays on her face.

"Did you go out of your way to meet me again?" she presses through a tone of hopefulness.

"No."

My unimpressed tone doesn't wipe the smile off her face, not even a twitch of difference. In fact, it turns wider, brighter, and more haunting—dreadfully perplexing.

An involuntary jolt strains my knuckles.

"That's okay," she whispers delicately. "What if I want to facilitate a fated meeting?"

Melted snow clings to the plastic umbrella, but the blurry transparency doesn't take away the brightness in her eyes.

Another strong twitch hits the same finger joint.

"Embarrassing," I utter after moments of silence.

She gasps, affronted. "You really know how to hurt a girl."

If I was anyone else with nefarious intentions seeing a young, stupidly trusting girl by herself in the dark, I wouldn't be having a conversation with her.

I realize I have no reason to speak to her at all.

"You'd be dead, little girl."

She hums with a breathy laugh. "What? You're going to ram me down the hill?"

"Keep talking, and I just might."

Irisa walks beside me with foolish confidence. I can't put my thoughts together to form a conclusive answer.

I give her the benefit of the doubt that she doesn't know who I am and what I do. I won't pretend that people don't perceive me as a threat. There will always be a brief flicker of hesitation and guarded caution in their eyes.

"I'm so scared," Irisa mumbles softly as her pink lips tip into a pout. "I have bruises from last night."

Whether if it's an insinuation or not, I decide to ignore it. I don't need to get involved with this girl. She's going to end up dead one way or another, and it'd be troublesome to get rid of any connection with her.