Chapter Nine

• Irisa •

The light flickers hauntingly above me as I walk towards my apartment. A dog's bark echoes from the other condominium, and my eyes instinctively go searching for the sound only to focus on the same floor that hung the landlord.

Life is a life no matter how despicable they are. The deceased landlord was a life, but he never gave me a good impression. From the beginning, he wanted to get into my pants for mutual benefits.

I don't see how I can benefit from him.

His bizarre death looms over everyone's heads. I don't blame them for being scared to step out of their apartments. I wouldn't want to either, but I think volunteering at a hospital desensitized me to death on some level.

Patients' circumstances are different than a murderer hanging their victim by the neck for something akin to modern art, but it's still a death.

The biggest reason why I can walk out of my apartment in the morning and at night is because of the undercover police cars around the block. This unnatural death hit the news with conspiracies taking over.

The killer would be a fool to come back here.

Is it because I have a bigger heart than others?

Truthfully speaking, it has more to do with Silva than anything else. Ever since meeting him, his presence takes a lot of space in my head.

In a way, he's protecting me even if he's not physically there.

Shrugging at another dog's barking, I unlock the deadbolt and twist the knob. The neighboring couple's arguing voices breach through the thin walls, screaming at each other with furniture scraping across the hardwood floor.

They've been bickering more than usual, especially after the landlord's body was found. I also know that woman pays her rent with sex, and her husband doesn't care as long as they aren't doing it when he's home.

He works night shifts, so it works for them.

The things I learn through thin walls are ridiculous; I probably know more about them than they know about themselves.

My apartment door lodges, taking me by surprise as I turn awkwardly with one shoe stuck on my foot. A big hand grips the edge while a pale sliver of moonlight jabs into my eye, and a familiar scent whiffs into my home.

Silva stands with an intimidating scowl, anger tarnishing the ferocious gray while a heated glare sets in place.

"Yes?" I ask, gawky and slow.

Under dim lights, he's still a very attractive man. A big, strong, angry man with an expensive suit and commanding demeanor. The tailored suit fits his massive frame flawlessly, the stitching following the grooves of his hidden muscles that fill the sturdy fabric.

He yanks the door open and walks onto the shoe mat as he flips on the light. It blinds me unexpectedly, but it doesn't hurt.

The brightness does no justice to how utterly handsome he is. Something about a suited man riles my stomach.

A loud click of the lock snaps me out of my stupor.

"You broke into my home," I say with shock.

It's not technically breaking in, but it's close enough for my stumped mind to comprehend.

He disputes, "I bought this condominium; I have every right to be here."

My tongue dries at his words. I press my lips together incredulously, and I question the entirety of it.