Chapter Three

•  Irisa  •

Kava tea tastes what I imagined. Disgusting.

Setting the mug down, I lean back onto the chair as I watch the white clouds dissipate. Morning crisp hits differently; it's clean, calming, and rather luring.

A clump of snow slides down from the balcony shade, hitting the floor below with a dull noise. Last night is the second snowstorm in a row, and there's been talk about businesses closing for the day.

It's predicted that another one would hit around the afternoon.

My legs curl deeper into the small cushioned chair, knitted blanket heating my cold skin, and a pillow supporting the bottom of my spine.

Discarding the tea, I pick up my book and open the bookmarked page. The pen in my hand scribbles notes on the side, serving as a reminder of usefulness.

I manage to read half a page before my interest turns to the crow walking on my neighbor's railing.

A moment of silence extends when its black eyes capture mine.

Closing the book, the soft sound forces the crow to flock away hastily. I hoist the blanket, pillow, and book into my arms to set them into my cozy apartment. I go back for the mug and look at the swirling content with repulsion.

People like new things, they like recommendations, and they like to know what they are missing out. This gifted premix kava tea came with my order of fruits.

I dump it into the sink and wash away the stench.

I need to make errands to not fall behind on newfound normalcy; it took me years to settle properly, and I will not let hard work go wasted. I like this apartment. No one bothers me, it's close to stores, and it's a space where I can ignore everything.

Shouldering my backpack, I leave the apartment as I list the things that I need to buy.

It's a misty morning, and it worsens the icy moisture.

The door locks behind me while I dodge the ray of intense sunlight in my face. Shielding the light from my eyes, I peer through the fingers with confusion etching in the corners of my lips.

The sun rises on the side of my balcony, and if by any chance a beam makes it to the adjacent building, it shouldn't reflect back towards my direction.

I move to the side and scrutinize the opposite condo.

An elongated shadow swings from thick ropes and kaleidoscopic tints spear through the distance as the brightness creates a hazy rainbow.

The colors end on my door.

The details come together as the shape locks onto the assumption. It's either a delayed Halloween prank or it's a strange romantic gesture.

It's a corpse dangling from ropes around the head; it reminds me of a watermelon net. The impressive part is the glimmering stone in the skull, replacing the face and using the massive gemstone to reflect lights through.

My stomach growls. I didn't have breakfast, and I do want a doughnut now.

I lift the backpack securely on my shoulders and walk down the hall. The elevator is on the floor below, so it shouldn't take long.

Pranks are common from the other condo building. Everyone knows that one specific apartment unit has a rowdy juvenile who likes to make everyone's life miserable. I wouldn't be surprised if this prank is their work.