Headache's and Roses

Zak awoke to the old routine of his alarm screaming at him to wake up. He simply unplugged it and rolled into the other side of his bed. "Shut up.. shut up." He said in a tired voice. He had woken up with a splitting headache and felt like death it's self. Anything could tick him off so he decided it'd be better to stay at home. Zak stood out of his bed and walked to the small kitchen in his apartment, he opened the fridge to find nothing. "Are you kidding me? Ugh I guess I'll have to go to the store and get some Frozen foods or something." He grabbed his backpack he had laying around with some work from senior year of high school, a hoodie to hide his face from anyone who'd try to talk to him and finally put on some vans and went off.

He walked past the city goers with the most tired face he's ever had and surely enough they left him alone. "The cars are loud." He grumbled. "The busses are loud, the skyscrapers are loud. The city is too loud." His face turned more and more sour and miserable looking.

"Bouquets 20% off! Any mix of flowers! Roses 50% off today only!"

Zak ignored the person yelling, though they did sound familiar.
"Hello sir! Would you like a c- Oh it's you!"

"Hm?"

"Once again I'm sorry about what happened yesterday, that's probably what put you in a sour mood today,," Darryl looked to the side and frowned.

Zak hated seeing people sad so he took off the hood and tried to put on a smile
This is the worst time I'd want to have a human interaction I hate you so much, stupid universe
"Ah- no that's not the reason! You don't have to look so sad. I'm fine, just a little out of it." He gave him a crooked smile.

"Oooh okay!" His smile returned. "So, why aren't you at work already?" He looked at his watch "This was about the time you went dashing off to work or whatever you had planned, you were really fast!"

"Oh, well I'm really not feeling my best today, I have a huge headache and could honestly use a break from my noisy work place but-" he held out his hand. "It seems like the city isn't any better." He chuckled awkwardly.

Darryl looked at him with a small frown. "Hey, why don't you come into my shop? I could whip you up some tea in the backroom if you'd like. Maybe it'll calm your headache."

"No, no I really shouldn't." Zak declined, waving his hand in a slash.

"I insist, really, you look miserable and I want to do anything possible to make you feel better."

"It's fine, seriously- woah!" He felt a firm tug on his arm and was led into the flower shop.

When Zak first entered the shop his nose was filled with the aroma of the various different flowers all around him, though the strongest one was of Roses. It smelt completely different to the gasoline and polluted smell of the outside city. He couldn't help but let out a small "wow.." as he was led into the back room.

"Sit there."

"This really isn't-"

"Sit there sir, please." Darryl said firmly.

"Okay." Zak fiddled with his fingers nervously as the awkward silence slowly killed him "Y-You have a nice shop." He said, looking through the glass door.

"Thanks." Darryl turned to Zak and smiled. "I really love my shop. I love being able to come here everyday and take care of the thing that matters most to me." Darryl said with a sight. "It makes me feel like I'm needed. These beautiful plants need me to keep them alive an well. So, that's exactly what I'm doing."

"Is that so? I'm glad you're happy with your job. I wish I knew how it felt to be needed." Zak smiled sadly.

"What are you talking about? You are needed. Your parents probably need you to keep them company!"

"They haven't texted me ever since I moved here, we got into this huge fight and I felt like I couldn't take it anymore."

"... Well- you're needed by your work place! Where else would they get such a smart person like you?"

"I'm constantly reminded by my boss that I'm disposable. I could tick him off over the slightest thing, get fired, and no one would know. There are so many more talented people waiting to get a spot on the job, I'm just wasting their shot."
The tea kettle started to screech. Darryl turned off the stove and sat down next to Zak. "Do you have friends? They probably worry for you all the time."

"We only talk for work related stuff, it's never outside of work."
Darryl looked down at the floor, trying to think of something to save the conversation. "Hi, my name is Darryl. I like watching anime in my spare time and working at my flower shop." He smiled.

Zak looked at him with a confused face "What-"

Darryl put a hand over his mouth and then took it off

"Um.. Hi, my name is Zak and I like playing the guitar. My favorite color is.. blue?"

Darryl's face brightened and they both kept the conversation going. They talked for a few hours while drinking some chamomile tea. Though they didn't have every little thing in common, it was nice to know that they both had some struggles that someone else related to.

"Thank you so much for the tea and the small chat Darryl, it made me feel so much better." Zak gave him a genuine smile.

"Hey, no problem! Go and get those groceries quick before the stores start to close! Take care Zak!"

"You too!" Zak said as he ran in the direction of a WinCo.