Slipping through my fingers

Zak rubbed his hands together as he walked. The streets were growing colder the more he walked. There were some shops open with warm light shining out the windows but ultimately it wasn't enough to keep Zak warm. He found himself lingering on the thought of his new flower loving friend. He thought of his dark hazel hair and how it shined through the bits of light which scattered around the shop, his green and slightly teal eyes that shimmered whenever he talked about his interests. His eyes looked like emeralds and Zak just couldn't help but get lost in them, his scrawny hands that were always a little red on the tips of his fingers to his knuckles. His light red cheeks- Zak shook his head, his face now burning hot.

"What am I thinking?" He quietly said to himself. He covered his face as he walked down the road pavement. "He's just- I don't- he's just really ahh whatever, this is weird. I'll just save this problem for another day." Zak looked down as he walked.

He finally reached the door to his apartment and quietly walked inside. Zak was met face to face with a disaster of an apartment, day old clothes thrown on the ground, a completely messy bed with the sheets holding onto the edge for dear life. It was a total mess.
"Geez- I guess I didn't realize how careless I've been these past days. I should probably clean this up." Zak began to pick up his dirty clothes and threw them in the wash.

Ever since Darryl appeared, his days haven't become as mundane and completely scheduled like before. He used to get up, shower, get dressed, go to work, go home and sleep. But with Darryl's contagious happiness that keeps Zak coming back to him he can't help but skip a day or two to hang out with his new buddy.

"Maybe this is the motivation I've been looking for, next time we hang out I might play him a song on my guitar." Zak smiled to himself and sighed through his lightly brushed pink nose. He looked at the clothes spinning in the wash, as he remembered times with his mother back at his old single story house. They'd always sing a song together while his toys would tumble around before his eyes. He smiled at the memory of his mom ruffling his already messy dark hair.
Zak hummed quietly to himself and sang the old song he hadn't sung in years. He hugged his knees, trapped in the childhood memories while reaching out to himself wishing he could go back one last time, for just one last hug, one last song, one last memory.

"please."
The machine beeped and brought Zak back to reality. He felt as though his whole life had slipped through his fingers. It felt like a slap in the face but he needed to confront it some day. Zak stood up and put his clothes in the dryer, walking out of the laundry room he left a stuffed bear lying on the ground.

-5:00 AM-
Zak groaned as he turned the god awful beeping off. He rolled out of bed and dragged himself to the dryer and picked out his clothes. "I just want to sleep forever... Ugh.."  He put on his pants and started to button up his shirt. When he looked up at the mirror he didn't expect to see such a husk of a man. "Geez I look a little too miserable." He put on a fake smile and grabbed his tie. "How the fuck do you tie a tie again.." Zak fiddled with his tie getting more and more irritated by the second. He angrily threw it on the ground out of frustration and fell back onto his bed, the humid air around him heating up his face. Zak sighed and stood up. Defeated, he picked up his striped tie and finally got it right. Zak sighed and ruffled up his hair, picking up his briefcase he was out the door.

Zak was in a pretty sour mood once again. He walked down the streets, with one hand in his left pocket and the other holding his briefcase on his right. He didn't want to see Darryl after the strange thoughts he had imagined the night before. Just thinking about it made his face go a slight tint of red with embarrassment.

Zak decided to take a turn to Clay's café since he had enough time to sit and chat for a while.
The little bell ringed vigorously which brought Zak's older friend's attention to the door.

"Oh! Hey Zak!" Clay put down the cup he was drying and made his way to the door. "C'mon in man! I haven't seen you in a bit." He gave Zak a warm smile. "So, what's up with ya? George has told me that you haven't been at work for two days and he'd started to get worried."

Zak fiddled with his hands nervously at the question. "Ah um.. I've been a bit sick lately so uh well I obviously can't go to work sick, Right? So I've been um staying at home for a bit as to not get anyone else sick." He cleared his throat, a little squeak coming out. "So yeah but I feel a lot better now." He gave Clay a crooked smile which made Clay loose his composure.

He wheezed loudly, bringing the café's attention to both of them.
"That- That was the WORST lying I've ever HEARD!" he laughed uncontrollably. "I'm sorry- I'm sorry I'll stop." He giggled. "But, you know you don't have to lie to me right Zak? You know I'm here if there's something wrong."

"There's nothing wrong! Really, you don't need to worry about it." Zak rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"So if it's not sickness then... Ah!" Clay snapped his fingers and pointed at Zak "You got a girl pregnant."

Zak's face turned dark red, he felt the café's eyes on him "Clay oh my God can you shut up." He hid his face.

"Soooo,, did you?"

Zak lifted his head up, visibly angry. "WH- NO OF COURSE I DIDN'T!" He whispered aggressively.

Clay laughed. "Okay- so, what's eating at you that you won't tell me?"

"Well.. how do you feel when you're around George?"

Clay scoffed, his cheeks turning a light pink. "Psh- What are you on about Zak-" He looked away from his friend.

"Clay, Nick and I both know that you two have a thing for each other. Just please- describe to me how you feel when you're around him?"

Clay paused and took a deep breath. "Well.." he smiled "I feel like the luckiest man in the world.. whenever I'm with him it feels like time stops and everything is still, except him and I." He chuckled. "It feels like a rush that I even get to exist next to such an amazing human being.."

"That's kind of what I'm feeling right now." Zak mumbled.

"To George? Um I'm sorry Zak but you can't-"

"No, no no. Not George it's- it's someone else. It's someone who has such a passion for what they do, it's someone who can't wait to go to work everyday, it's someone who's happiness can brighten up a whole room." Zak sighed "I don't know what.. what this means? I've never felt this way about anyone before and I don't know if it's admiration or... Something else." He put his head down into his arms.

Clay smiled. He sighed and pat Zak's fluffy hair. "Look, I can't really give any advice about this type of stuff since everyone has different experiences but.. there will come a time when you know the answer. It's already come to me, so good luck to you Zakie."

Zak raised his head, the biggest smiled spread over his face. "Thank you so much Clay, you're like a brother to me. I love you man." He hugged Clay like there was no tomorrow and smiled.

Zak grabbed his briefcase from the counter and made his way out the door, a new found confidence in his soul "Cya Clay!"

"Bye Zak! I love you! Good luck!"

{SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO GET THIS OUT!! I HAD WRITERS BLOCK FOR A LOOONG TIME! BUT ANYWAYS- THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 100 READS!!! THIS MEANS THE ABSOLUTE WORLD TO ME! I LOVE YOU GUYS!~*}