6

The slums of Konoha were something he'd rarely heard of, and even more rare to see. It was one of the few places Kwesi had little exposure to from watching the series. The Leaf village had managed to entrance him with their power and resilience, that he had completely forgot about everything else. The viewers had only seen Konoha from an angle that was subtle, and perfect.

Truth was, the ninja village too, like real life, had it's ups and downs. Where there was flourishment, there was also poverty. He stumbled on the place from one if his little adventures. How foolish he was, to think that this world's pain was only limited to war and bloodshed.

The Akasen was much more quiet, and weary. Where the scent of mold and smoke peppered the air like seasoning. There weren't much houses, but apartment complexes. Tall buildings that spanned up to five stories each, sometimes more. And the years of neglect that worn them down, with cracks and crevices forming along the concrete walls. There were shops that sparsely decorated the otherwise barren, narrow streets.

He hardly saw people there, walking. Sometimes a few junkies that would eye him like their next snack. They lurked in the dark corners of the struggling community, smoking blunts behind the dumpsters. Kwesi heard many things walking down these streets, screams, cries, laughs. He heard it all.

He tugged his hood lower to shield his face. The last place he'd ever want to be at is the brothel. A necessary evil. A place where crooks and shinobi alike came to forget, to deal and to fuck. The building was just like any other in the area, dilapidated, minus the bright neon sign: The Strip. And Kwesi wondered why they didn't have a better name. Truthfully it suited the place. It was straightforward, and nobody really cared about the name. More like the services.

The place reeked sex, alcohol and drugs. The odor so pungent that it burned your nose even when outside. Something he gagged at every single time.

Most regulars and staff knew him under the alias 'Hoodie' and made no move to bother the pinkette. Considering that he wasn't there for them. Rather, the genin was there for the neighbor of the brothel.

He quickly jogged up the side stairs of the building, tapping on the lone door above. The apartment owner gave Kwesi a toothy grin and a long hug.

"Sakura-chan!"

Kwesi patted his head, giving a gentle smile.

"Hello Naruto."

The first time he found Naruto's home, he wasn't surprised but sad. Sad that a child had to live in such a place, all alone. Above a place of prostitution no less. The place was in a mess, with old ramen cups littered everywhere and fungus that grew on the walls and furniture. But with Kwesi's help, they managed to clean the place up nice. Using some of his money he got from missions(which wasn't plenty) he bought fresh groceries and checked up on the Uzumaki time to time.

Naruto was the sole reason Kwesi taught himself to cook, even if he just started. He knew how to make the dishes of his home, however this was Japan and he wamted to blend in as much as possible. No good would come from standing out. Besides, the shorter boy couldn't just live on ramen his entire youth. And he made sure to teach him the simple things he knew to do. The villagers despised Naruto and refused to sell him, so Kwesi simply took up the weekly task. It was the least he could do.

"What ya brought ta eat 'ttebayo!" He jumped exuberantly, warmth glimmering in those cerulean eyes. Kwesi chuckled at his childish antics.

"Rice...And curry." The blonde scrunched his nose at the mention of rice.

"Ew."

A laugh bubbled up in his throat, and he looked at Naruto with amusement. "C'mon I took my time to make this ya know? Give a girl some credit."