Chapter 8

BY THE TIME TYSON knocked on the door, her family had finished their second long round of teasing. Aura opened the front door and didn't even let anyone say a word. She marched out, pushing Tyson by the chest right back where he came from, and slammed the door behind her.

He was confused, but she didn't let him ask why. She told him to lead the way, so he shut his mouth and walked to the beach.

Before she knew it, they had made it to the shore. The soft sound of the waves overlapping caught her attention. Seagulls squealed as they dove beside people, trying to steal their food. Children laughed and yelled as they played with each other. Adults lied on the sand or went into the ocean for a swim. Teens huddled in groups taking pictures they'd look back at in the future.

She smiled at the scene, wanting to tattoo it in her mind.

"Hey, guys!" Tyson greeted a small group of people. They turned towards them with big smiles. Behind them, more people spread around, making it look like she had just entered an exclusive beach party.

Her heart hammered, faintly remembering faces amongst the group. Tyson hugged a few, before waving at Aura to go join him.

"Ari, you remember Juniper and Daniel, right?" Tyson asked. The two stood side by side, looking over at Aura in shock.

Juniper Clark, who was once a stubby child, was now a thin, tall woman, whose looks mirrored any famous model. Her hair was in braids, cascading down her back. She wore a white bikini and shorts, contrasting with her dark skin.

Beside her was Daniel Fletcher, standing at her same height. He was shirtless, showing off his sun-kissed skin, and wore some navy swim trunks. His curly hair was matted down against his forehead. It seemed like he had just gone into the water for a quick swim before coming back.

"No way," Juniper gawked. "Aura Chandler?"

Aura smiled and had no time to say anything before Juniper jumped into her arms. She couldn't help but laugh. It had been way too many years since they last saw each other. Juniper was one of the few friends she made as a toddler. They ran around causing trouble in the playground and getting scolded by their teachers almost every day for talking too much.

She found it so odd but so nice that they still remembered her fondly, despite all the years they were separated. They had become different people, yet they treated her as if she had never left for California.

"Come on, Juni, let the girl breathe," Daniel said from afar. "Now does Aura remember me?"

"Of course I remember, Danny," Aura said, separating from Juniper. Daniel scowled at the nickname she used to tease him with as children. For some reason, he did not like being called that, but she never understood as a child. Naturally, she kept calling him that.

"Daniel," he corrected.

"Yes, yes. Daniel Fletcher," she recited the same line he always fed her as kids. They laughed as they embraced.

"No! Are my eyes deceiving me?" a voice called out from behind. Aura pulled away from Daniel to find Corey Jefferson standing a few feet away, jaw almost touching the sand.

"Is that Aura Chandler?" He placed a hand to his chest. She laughed and threw her arms open, and he ran into them.

"Corey, oh my goodness," she said through tears. Next to Tyson, Corey was her closest friend. He used to be the class clown and never failed to make her laugh. He used to pull the best pranks for a toddler. A few hated him, but Aura shared a deep connection to the guy. Maybe because she was the only one to truly enjoy his trickster ways.