Chapter 30

"AURA, BABY, CAN YOU get the door?"

She nodded, passing by Grandma Ruby as she turned back to watch her favorite soap operas. The character on screen fell on her knees crying without any mascara smearing across her face. Before she could continue her lament, the music intensified. She looked forward into the distance and started what seemed to be her revenge-infused monologue.

Aura shook her head and went for the door, hearing faint knocks continue. Opening it was a mistake, she realized, as Tyson stood on the other side with a bouquet of flowers and a small cooler behind him. She raised a brow and placed a hand on her hip, mirroring Grandma Ruby's sassy behavior exactly.

Tyson cleared his throat, giving her the bouquet. She rolled her eyes and accepted it. She was a sucker for flowers, especially the lovely combination of red roses and sunflowers. How Tyson knew that was beyond her, but she would have to thank how popular it had been online for a while.

"Can I speak to you outside?" He asked.

She stared at a poking sunflower, and nodded. Closing the door behind her, she waited for whatever he was about to say. Judging from his slouching posture, the bouquet he gifted her, and the remorse in his eyes, she was about to witness an apology.

It was about time.

She would have done it herself, but after eating so much tacos at Corey's, she got home to pass out.

"Aura, I'm sorry about what happened at the beach," he started. She bit down on her lip, mentally patting herself in the back for guessing correctly. It seemed he grew some sense and realized he was wrong. "I can't pretend like I don't hate Zachary, but I know I was out of line. I can't make you, or anyone, not be friends with him just because of what I think."

"Tyson —"

"No," he interrupted. "Let me finish. I hate the fact that you are involved with that guy because I know what he does to women, but I can't make you do anything. But can you at least promise me you won't let him trick you?"

Aura clutched the roses and sunflowers harder and gazed up at Tyson. A small smile spread over her lips as the tension she had taken up since their argument deflated.

"I promise." She shook her head, biting down her lip. "And you do know I'm not involved with him like you think." She pointed at his chest with the flowers. He frowned as she held back a laugh.

Yes, they may have kissed a lot, but it didn't mean that she felt anything for him. In all seriousness, those few hours of pure passion were a way to bring her moods up after what Millie had done to her. In no way had she felt anything for Zachary, as horrible as that sounded. Perhaps some thrill, but that soon came to pass. And after visiting his home, the small flame that remained had been blown out.

She feared he would be the one falling, like everyone else in her past. While Zachary was drop dead gorgeous and filthy rich, she found that her excitement around him stemmed from her love of anything luxurious.

Making out in a rich suite that belonged to the beach club's owner's son? Sign her up. 

Take the luxury out, and everything else was bland.

But that didn't mean anything. At that point, moments like those never did anything for her. It simply existed. Nothing else.

She hoped that maybe in the future she could feel something with someone, but that was yet to occur.

"So you're not with him?" He asked.

Aura shook her head. It was fun to be around him to a certain extent, but it didn't fulfill her. If Zachary thought they had something going on, especially after the Millie fiasco, he was quite mistaken.