Chapter 14

WHEN AURA MADE IT back to Grandma Ruby's, her arms were heavy with shopping bags. She had visited many stores around town on the hunt for the perfect cocktail dress. She didn't want something too flashy but not too dull. She also didn't want to appear over the top with a tight dress that hugged her curves in the right places. She wanted to build up to that. For now, she yearned for something simple and cute with a little flare.

And she found it.

She couldn't wait to see Zachary's reaction. She was going to blow him away. Perhaps even a few other people she'd meet at the club too. She couldn't wait to see how everyone would react to her presence. In her experience, she always had a knack of being the center of attention, and she couldn't wait to watch how even the richest stepped aside to look at her.

She had to call Gwenn to tell her all about it.

Aura walked inside the house and was immediately bombarded with questions from all directions. From her mother on the love seat, from her grandmother on the big couch, and from her father standing in the kitchen. She closed the door behind her and put her hands up in surrender whilst showing the culprit for her tardiness.

"I went shopping," she explained.

"I thought you were going to take pictures..." her mother trailed off.

"Okay, yes, but a situation happened that made this trip a little more colorful. I got invited to a party tomorrow night!" Aura grinned, throwing her infamous jazz hands for effect.

They weren't as excited as she was.

"Oh, darling, but the Smith's invited us for a barbecue tomorrow night. Surely you can take a rain check, right?" Her mother stood up, putting her hands on her shoulders and forcing them down.

"That's news to me," Aura said.

"Where's the party, baby?" Grandma Ruby asked.

"Grandma, it's at The Siren Beach Club," Aura exclaimed. She sat beside her and started pouring out how she met Zachary, although leaving out the fact that they were flirting and she was thoroughly enjoying it.

"Are you sure you wanna go to that, Aura?" Her father asked. "You barely know the man."

"I know," Aura said, waving him off. "I'm not just going for him. Yeah, he seemed nice, but rich people go to these clubs. I'm hoping to do a good makeup look and try to get noticed by someone. I need more clients. Especially ones with connections." She snapped her fingers at the end.

Grandma Ruby gave a hearty laugh that would have awoken the entire street. However, her parents shook their heads. Aura smirked and shrugged it off. They might not find it right, but life was about connections. Lord knew she needed a good amount of those if she wanted to get ahead in life.

"Aura, I don't know about those people," her father continued. "They're not... the best."

By the look on his face, Aura knew he wasn't just saying that. There was something he knew that he wasn't telling her. Regret and fear glimmered in his brown eyes. This was personal.

"What about them?" She asked. "Do you know something I don't?"

"I know they're stuck up and rude," he responded. "They will take advantage of every last inch of you."

Aura rolled her eyes. She felt like she was a teen all over again. She was an adult who knew how to make good choices. If anyone was being taken advantage of, it was them. She would strut her way into the beach club and use every one of them to her liking. She was going to get a good career in makeup like she's always dreamed of, she just needed publicity and connections.

"Dad, I'm the one that's gonna take advantage of them." She popped her lips as Grandma Ruby laughed again.

"Darling, that's not very nice," her mother chastised.

"Yeah, like I'm taking a lesson of what's nice from you," Aura retorted. "Nothing you guys say will change my mind. I'm going to that party. Who knows who I can meet? What if I meet someone who needs a makeup artist?"

Her parents stayed quiet, but shared a knowing look. They were going to be against her decision, but she didn't care. She was twenty-two, not fifteen. They could disagree all they wanted, but that wasn't going to change anything. Besides, her grandmother seemed to be all for it.

"Baby, you know I'd wish for you to stay. Teresa really wanted to see you, but you were invited to that party first. So go live your life and learn." Grandma Ruby winked at her, and Aura felt her recent defensiveness simmer down.

"I still think you shouldn't go," her mother said, throwing her hands up.

"You also didn't think I should study cosmetology, but here we are. Now, excuse me, I'm going to go plan my look for tomorrow." Aura stood up and passed her parents with all of her bags. They sighed behind her, but didn't try to say anything else.

She was glad. It was like all the control she escaped from when she moved out was coming back to haunt her. She would do whatever she pleased. Her parents weren't in control anymore. Who cared if she was going to be with the snobbiest people in Cornelius? At least they knew how to party in style. For once she was going to fit in with the crowd since she got there.

 For once she was going to fit in with the crowd since she got there