Chapter 21

WHEN AURA DROPPED HER bags from a shopping morning with Grandma Ruby and her mother, she got a call from the person she thought would ghost her forever. She locked herself in her room as Zachary's smooth voice infiltrated her senses.

Even though she had thought him indifferent to their situation like she was, she was surprised and eager to see what he would talk to her about. When he invited her to dinner with the rest of his friends, she was equal parts delighted and anxious. Although that meant spending time with Zachary at a luxurious place, The Siren, it also meant being in the presence of the ever so jealous Millie Moore and creepy Callum Anderson.

She decided if she could handle a party with them, she could handle a dinner.

AURA MET ZACHARY AT the front entrance of The Siren. He looked handsome as always in gray pants and a half unbuttoned white dress shirt with rolled up sleeves. A part of her wanted to curse him out for looking so damn good in her presence, but then again she wasn't going to be left in the dust.

She sauntered up to him in her solid white pant set and strappy gold heels. His eyes drank her up as she reached a hand out for him.

"You sure do know how to make an entrance," he commented with a smile. Aura pursed her lips, holding back a smile, and fluttered her false lashes at him.

"Those compliments are really in your favor, Mr. McBane." She giggled as he raised her hand to his lips.

"I'm glad." He smiled before pointing at the entrance doors. "Ready for dinner? Everyone's already here."

Aura nodded, and he led her inside, never letting go of her hand. When they passed by a few people, he interlaced their fingers together, which made her heart race. Despite the confusion of the party, she was excited about what was in store for the evening. Perhaps dinner could be a re-do for the awkward night.

Zachary turned into an unfamiliar hallway, and led her right towards huge double doors. She could see the setting sun as he opened them for her to go through. It seemed to be another entrance to the back of the club, but at a different terrace. Perhaps if she looked out from the far end railing, she could see where the party was done the last time she was there.

Many tables covered the place, all with expensive decorations organized to perfection. People dined with their company, conversing and enjoying their fancy meals. Everything was served as if they were giving it to the most important person on the planet. Even the silverware was unlike anything she'd ever seen with careful delicate engravings of vines and flowers on each handle.

She gulped at the thought of having to pay for the dinner, but she figured that if Zachary wouldn't offer, one expensive meal wouldn't break her. She liked to live her life after all.

"Hi, Aura!" Iris greeted them when they neared the table. Her brunette hair was tied up in a sleek bun, showcasing her beautiful features. Aura wanted to start geeking out over her makeup; it was so nice with a simple approach: false eyelashes and a champagne-colored gloss. It went well with her solid black dress. Aura waved and pretended not to notice how Millie pointedly glared at Iris.

Zachary pulled a seat for her and sat on her right side. Unfortunately, Millie was right in front of her. In a half-up hairstyle, her blonde soft curls rested over her shoulders while some framed her face delicately. Had their introduction been better, Aura would've complimented it. For her makeup, Aura noticed she had gone for a more bold look for a dinner: winged liner (that was a bit crooked) and a similar red lip Aura wore when they first met. Aura almost laughed when she saw Millie sporting the fakest smile she had ever seen.

"Aura, it's nice to see you again," Parker said, grabbing her attention away from the aspiring model. His jovial persona made him radiant, despite the fact that he was dressed in all black. Out of all of the guys, he seemed to be the one with the most manners. Hayes and Callum were more on the wild and creepy side. Zachary paired better with Parker, which was a relief for her. She didn't want to struggle dealing with a creep just in an attempt for connections.