Chapter Two- Graveyard Shift

Did I mention I am not a morning person? Yes, I can get up and wake up easily, but I tend to feel groggy and run down for a while after I first wake up. This morning I shot up out of bed remembering that this morning I had detention in the cemetery. Daniel told me yesterday that he has it too, so he would stop by my dorm and show me where to go for the meetup.

After getting ready I hear a knock on my door. I run over and close the door behind me. Daniel smiles at me, "Ready for your first detention?"

"Not really. Still not a morning person, so waking up at dawn was hard enough. What do we even have to do in detention anyway?" I ask him curiously as we walk outside and start to head in the direction of the cemetery.

"Knowing Ms. Tross, she will probably have us clean headstones and statues. So, what was Molly's deal the other day with saying she had been waiting for years to do what she did?" He asks curiously. "I don't know. We've never really gotten along; even before the fall happened."

We walk into the cemetery and meet up with Roland. We all started to converse about yesterday's events and Roland mentioned a party he was planning. I ended up zoning out sometime during the discussion and meet eyes with Cam across the graveyard. He was wearing his leather jacket and dark jeans. He had his arms crossed and looked at me smirking. I guess he finds it hilarious that I'm here, serving detention. Now that I think of it, he wasn't in the cafeteria yesterday so who knows what he thinks I did to get here. Yet again, why do I care what he thinks?

"Savanna?" I snap out of it and smile looking at Daniel, "Yeah?" I ask. "You good?" He asks probably noticing my change in demeanor. "Just tired," I say and he nods slowly not really believing me but leaving it at that. "Five more minutes, then I'm out." Some kid says really loud looking at Ms. Tross.

"Too bad your opinion has no value, Mr. Sparks." Ms. Tross says angrily. Ms. Tross wasn't happy yesterday when Luce, Penn, and I were really late to class yesterday, not the best first impression. "Unless anyone wants to lose his or her social privileges this week- "multiple people groan" we will wait patiently, as if we had nothing better to do until Miss Price decides to grace us with her presence."

"I'm here." Luce gasps finally making her way towards all of us. Ms. Tross looks over at her angrily. "I'm sorry. I didn't know where we were supposed to meet. I swear- "

"Save it. You've wasted enough of everyone's time. Now, I'm sure you all remember whatever despicable indiscretion you committed to finding yourself here. You can think about that for the next two hours while you work. Pair up. You know the drill." She says and then looks at me and Luce. "Who wants a protégé?"

"I do. I'll take Savanna." A voice says and another says, "I call dibs on Luce." Arriane and Cam walk over. "No, I'll take Savanna," Daniel says running over glaring at Cam. Arriane and Luce pair and walk off to clean statues. "Savanna work with Cam. Daniel work with Roland. No ifs, ands, or buts." Ms. Tross says and motions us to go serve our time.

Just great...well here I go. I walk off with Cam and when he wasn't looking, I looked at Daniel and nodded to say, 'I'll be okay' and he nodded back. "So, we're washing statues, right?" I ask him as we reach our 'station'. "Yep, scrub-a-dub-dub." He says handing me a sponge smirking slightly.

"Okay, what's with the smirk?" I ask him starting to clean the statue not even looking at him. "I never thought I would see the day where you were punished for something." I remain silent hoping time would go by faster. "Anyway...have you figured anything out yet about the curse?" He asks. I continue to ignore him. "Savanna.... you can't ignore me forever."

I stop cleaning and drop the sponge, "Whether I did find something out or not, why would I tell you?" I ask him making eye contact with him. "We used to always tell each other everything. Plus, as I said, I am not on Lucifer's side anymore."

"Times are different and we're different. Plus, I don't believe you." I tell him. Ms. Tross walks over, "This is detention. Clean, not small talk." I pick up my sponge and continue cleaning as she walks off. "What makes you think I'm still with him?" He asks grabbing my hand so I would stop and answer his question. "My intuition is never wrong, especially with my gift of sight," I tell him. "Eat lunch with me." He demands.

"Um..." I look over his shoulder and see Daniel heading towards Luce. "He really doesn't listen," I whisper under my breath and Cam looks at me confused. "What are you talking about?"

"I'll be right back," I tell him and start to walk over to Luce and Daniel. The angel statue right above them begins to crackle and rock back and forth. It started to fall down, "Luce! Daniel!" I scream and Daniel grabs Luce and rolls over dodging the statue.

"Luce?" I hear him whisper. She nods. "What did you see?" He asks her softly. Cam runs over and helps Luce up, "Are you okay?" He asks her. "Savanna and I saw the statue coming down and I ran over to try and stop it, but it was already...you must have been so terrified." He says. I roll my eyes and help Daniel up. He pushes me out of the way and storms off not looking back at any of us. "What did you do?" Ms. Tross asks looking at a destroyed statue on the ground by Luce.

"I don't know. One minute, we were standing there um, working. The next thing I knew, the statue just fell over." Luce tells her and Tross looks at her cursing out the forces of nature under her breath.

I turn back around and scan Luce for cuts and such. "Looks like someone should start listening when I give advice." I hear Molly whisper in Luce's ear and then she notices me watching her carefully. She gulps and storms out of the cemetery.

So, I'm guessing Molly did this to teach her a lesson. What if Daniel wasn't there to save her and I was too late? I'm supposed to be her guardian. A sucky job I'm doing.

"I'll bring you inside so the nurse can check you out," Tross says and walks with Luce back into the building. Cam walks over to me, "So..." I turn around and start heading in the direction that Daniel went. "Oh, come on. Chasing after Daniel? He's mad at you."

Cam runs in front of me crossing his arms. "It's not me he's mad at," I tell him. "Well, you weren't there. Aren't you supposed to be her guardian angel?" He says raising an eyebrow smirking again. "I was there. I thought I could trust her to have her own space but I'm guessing the quote on quote 'forces of nature' aren't going to allow that."

"So, what now?" He asks. "I go chew Molly out and find Daniel. Then I'm going to give him a pep talk." I tell him walking around him and he grabs my arm, "Meet me by the cemetery for lunch. We need to talk." He demands looking me in the eyes waiting to see my reaction.

"Fine. I'll see you at lunch." I tell him reluctantly and he lets go watching me walk inside.