Chapter Four- Inner Circle

I was dreading at the thought of running into Cam, especially after what happened a few hours before. Once Daniel and I entered back into the school, I went directly to my room and I've been there finishing up all of my make-up work from joining this school half-way through the first semester. A knock at my door made me stop working and I slowly approach it, "Who's there?"

"It's Daniel. We need to talk." I sigh and open the door letting my brother in. He goes and sits on the bed and I sit on my desk chair swirling around in it to face Daniel. "Cam's on my nerves. First, he does what he did with you. Secondly, he keeps flirting with Luce and I'm positive that she's falling for him. Third, we're going to Cam's party tonight so we can make sure he doesn't try pulling anything with Luce." He says clenching his hands into tight fists.

"Okay." I tell him and he gives me a soft smile and starts to leave, "I will be back in about 30 minutes to go to Cam's party. Also.... wear something to drive Cam crazy. As much as I hate to admit it, you may be the distraction we need to make him stay away from Luce."

"What about you? How are you going to make sure Luce stays away from you too?" I ask him feeling uncomfortable about 'egging' Cam on especially after what happened during lunch, but he is right. Until I figure out what happened with their curse, it would be smart to get Lucifer's right-hand man away from Luce. "I will figure that part out before I come back. Get ready, I will see you soon with a full plan." I nod and Daniel leaves.

I find something to wear; a cute knee-length dress with a leather jacket and wedges and then I beach wave curl my hair. "That should do it," I whisper looking at myself in the mirror. I hear a knock on the door, so I opened the door and saw Daniel standing there with another fallen angel named Gabbe. "So, what's the plan?" I ask him smiling at Gabbe and closing the door as we begin walking to Cam's party.

"From now on, Gabbe will be my girlfriend. Somehow tonight we need to keep her away from Cam, but she also needs to find out that Gabbe and I are 'dating'." He says looking towards me for my approval. "Okay, I guess we will see how it goes. I hope it works." I tell him as we stop in front of a door. Daniel knocks and Roland answers the door. "There you guys are!" We all head into Cam's room and follow Roland to a table in the corner of the room.

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Cam slipping a red solo cup to Luce. "What did he just give her?" I whisper to Daniel motioning to Luce's cup. "Knowing him probably champagne. He always has it at his parties." He says narrowing his eyes at Cam and Luce.

Arriane gets on top of a desk and raises her glass in the air for a toast, "To Luce," she toasts. "Who was obviously zoning and missed my entire welcome speech and who will never know how utterly fabulous it was- wasn't it fabulous, Ro?" Arriane asks looking at Roland who nods. "To Luce! To Meat Loaf!" Arriane looks around and then stops when her gaze meets mine, "And don't forget, to Savanna! To Angel!" She toasts and everyone takes a swig of their drinks except me since I didn't know how I felt about drinking alcohol.

I look over at Daniel and catch him and Luce staring at each other. I nudge him with my elbow, and he looks away from her. I notice that Cam is no longer by Luce's side, so I smile and wave to her and she starts walking over as Daniel and Gabbe walk out of the room preparing for Luce to 'accidentally' overhear their relationship conversation. "What are you doing?" A voice whispers into my ear sending shivers down my body immediately.

I look over my shoulder and see Cam standing behind me with narrowed eyes. "Waving to Luce," I say ignoring the tension between us. "Why?" He asks. "I know I'm her guardian angel, but that doesn't mean I can't interact with her. Plus, I think Penn just left her, and Arriane is passed out in the corner of the room." I tell him and smile once Luce stops right in front of me. "Hey, how's it going? We haven't talked in a few days." She says and Cam moves so he's standing next to me. "It's been okay. I've mainly been working on assignments to catch up. What about you?" I ask her. "I forgot about those. I really need to do those." She says looking around the room.

"You okay?" I ask her knowing exactly who she's hoping to see. "I've been meaning to ask, how close are you and Daniel?" She asks looking back at me; Cam raises an eyebrow and looks towards me too, curious to see what my response to her is. I have to answer without hesitating because I know she might take it the wrong way.

"He's my brother," I tell her and her eyes go wide, and she chokes on her drink. "Brother? You guys don't have the same last name?? You two do look a lot alike though so..." Cam looks at me with a small smirk hoping this whole conversation would go wrong, "Yeah why is that? I've been wanting to ask you that too." He remarks.

"Our family has some centuries-old tradition where the daughters take their mother's last name, and the sons take the father's last name. So, our mom's last name is Petrova, hence my last name; and our father's last name is Grigori, hence Daniel's last name." I explain and she nods. "Sorry, if I seemed a little nosy."

"It's okay. We actually get asked that question a lot so, no biggy. On another note...do you have feelings for Daniel?" I ask her and she blushes which leads Cam to clench his fist. "You do." I say smiling, "Don't worry, I won't say anything. You can trust me with anything." I tell her and she smiles. "Friends?" She asks. "Friends," I tell her. Cam looks between us confused. "Wait, you guys are friends, just like that?" He asks.

"Yep." We say at the same time, "Where's- "I interrupt her, "He went right outside of the room. Wouldn't say what for." I tell her. She looks at me surprised. "How did you know what I was going to ask?" I smile, "I had a feeling. But um...be careful. Daniel's known to be a little heartbreaker." I tell her and she nods slowly, probably not sure about Daniel being a heartbreaker, "Thanks. I'll be right back." She says and leaves the room. Cam moves to stand in front of me.

"What do you and Daniel have planned?" He asks looking me in the eyes. "Look, Cam- "He interrupts me, "I'm serious, Savanna."

"I don't know what Daniel has planned if he even has anything planned." I lie to him and it becomes quiet between us which leads me to look around the room. Everybody was dancing, drinking, and having fun while we were just standing there in silence. After a while, Cam cleared his throat, "Look, I'm sorry for being an ass yesterday. I just...I let my demon side and emotions take over. I guess seeing you again for the first time in a long time has brought up memories and feelings I pushed to the back of my mind."

He's apologizing? This is interesting. "Well, you are a demon now which comes with demon characteristics," I look at him, "Should we talk about this somewhere else?" I ask him motioning to outside. He nods and I follow him outside where we sit on a bench next to the school gardens. "Look," I say, and he looks over at me, "I think we both pushed it to the back of our minds. Now that I'm here, we're both finally having to face it and now it's difficult to because we both are completely different people; we are not anything near the types of people we used to be. I don't know about you, but I think it's really bad timing."

He takes a deep breath thinking about everything I've said, "You're right."

"So, what do we do now?" I ask looking up at the night sky.

"Should we start over? Like we never knew each other in the first place?" He asks.

"We can try," I tell him looking back at him.

He holds out his right hand and smiles at me, "Hi, I'm Cam Briel, demon. And you are?"

I shake his right hand with my left and smile back, "Hi, I'm Savanna Petrova, angel."