Chapter Two

Draco Malfoy has blonde hair that he slicked back. His eyes were a dark icy gray that appeared to be darker than they really were due to the evil smirk he constantly kept plastered on his face. He was thin, but fairly well built, coming in at 5'10". Ever since Hermione and Draco knew each other they had been enemies, shooting cynical looks and rude remarks at each other when they had the chance or provoked.

Hermione quickly picked up her books, and realized she was one short. She heard a cynical chuckle and looked up to find Malfoy with her book in his arms, "Looking for this Granger? You really are a book worm, aren't you?"

The 5'2" seventeen-year-old girl quickly stood, brought herself to full height, and tilted her head to look, "You know, Malfoy your insults really get old, always the same ones time after time. Why don't you try and come up with some new ones, or is that too much of a task for that pea sized brain of yours?" Hermione sneered.

At first Malfoy was taken aback, he had never heard Hermione use that tone of voice and was very surprised that she was capable of even thinking about using it.

Snapping out of his surprise Draco opened his mouth to retort, but a movement just beyond Hermione in Flourish and Blotts caught his eye. He looked up and could barely make our the silhouette of a hooded figure lurking in the shadows, staring at the two of them. Having an idea of who it was, Draco dropped Hermione's book, turned on his heel, and walked into the street, disappearing into the crowd the minute he did.

Hermione stood, staring at the spot where Malfoy had disappeared. She didn't understand why he just walked away, he usually shot some nasty remark back that involved calling her a mudblood. But he didn't. Finally realizing that he had been looking past her before he left, Hermione turned. She saw nothing. Shaking her head, she picked up her last book and walked to the ice cream shop down the street.

Sitting at a table, she pulled our a piece of parchment and a quill (that she always had in her bag) and wrote a letter to her Harry.

"Excuse me, Tom. Are there any owls that I can use to send a letter?"

"Let me go check." The old man said with a smile.

Tom came back a minute later with a small barn owl on his arm. "The last one left at the moment, it'll be five knuts." Hermione nodded and handed him the small bronze pieces.

The owl stuck out its leg as soon as Tom set it on the counter. Hermione quickly tied her rolled up letter to the owl's leg. "Take this to Harry Potter." She said, patting the owls head. The brown owl gave a hoot of understanding and flew out the open window.

A cloaked figure sat down in a chair at a shadowed table, in the back, dark corner of The Leaky Cauldron. The figure acknowledged another cloaked person, who was already sitting at the table waiting, with a nod.

"Well?" a deep voice came from the figure who had been waiting, making it clear that they were male. "Is he here."

"Yes," the first said, in an equally deep voice. "I've been following him all day, but it wasn't that easy. He's on alert, he's ready."

"I thought as much. But he is staying here?"

"Yes, and I have other news."

"What is it?"

"The girl, the mudblood that the Dark Lord wants." the second figure nodded to show is understanding. "Is here."

The second figure sat straighter, and leaned forward. "She is?"

"Yes, I saw her earlier in Diagon Alley, the two of them had a small confrontation. And then I saw her, just now, go upstairs."

"Perfect. The Dark Lord will be pleased. Very pleased."

Hermione was sitting in the chair in her room, reading later that day. The sun was setting and she had just eaten dinner. She sighed in happiness and turned the page of Standard Book of Spells (Grade 7), when some one knocked at her door.

"Who is it?" Hermione said, as she approached the door.

"It's Tom, Miss Granger." she opened the door.

"A reply came for you, Miss Granger."

"Thank you, Tom." she took the letter. Tom left and Hermione heard him say: "

Good evening Mister Malfoy."

"Good evening, Tom." she heard Malfoy reply. Seconds later Malfoy was standing at the door across from hers, they glared at each other before Hermione swiftly shut the door.

That's odd, she thought as she made her way to the bed, what is Malfoy doing staying at The Leaky Cauldron?. She plopped down on her bed, and tried thinking of reasons. Coming up with no reasonable one, she remembered Harry's response. She quickly opened the letter. It read:

Dear Hermione,

I was so happy to here from you, I haven't heard from anyone, not eve Ron. I suppose he's busy in Egypt. Being stuck with the Dursley's isn't fun. Though, they've surprisingly have been acting very nice. I think they realized that after this school year I won't be living with them anymore, a fact that all four of us are happy with. September 1st couldn't come any slower.

I did get my books, but they were brought to me. Dumbledore made it quite clear that I shouldn't leave the house, it could be too dangerous, or something. So I thought it best to do what he says, even if it is just this once. Hermione laughed, she, Harry, and Ron always seemed to be breaking rules, even if it were for the good.

I'll see you at King's Crossing!

Harry

Later that night, Hermione woke to the sound of a scream coming from the tavern below, followed by a crash. Thinking it was a simple bar fight she checked her watch (it was 11:30), and rolled over in a attempt to fall asleep.

Suddenly there was shouting, a couple more screams, the sounds of spells being cast, and the spells hitting things.

Snapping up straight, Hermione grabbed her wand from her beside table, and ran out her door and down the hall.

She stopped as she reached the flight of stairs that led to the tavern. Some one also standing there, hiding in the shadows. Hermione immediately knew who it was, Malfoy. She stood next to him, but at a reasonable distance, also hiding. Without acknowledging the other, they watched the scene before them.

Many cloaked, hooded, and masked wizards or witches were dueling with the inhabitants of the tavern. Death Eaters, Hermione thought. Spells where flying in every direction, breaking chairs, tables, and glasses if they didn't hit people.

Above all the noise, a dark voice could be heard, yelling at Tom. The two hiding teens, turned their attention to Tom and that Death Eater. They both had their wands raised, ready and waiting.

"EXPELLIARMUS!" the Death Eater yelled. Tom had no time to react before the spell it him in the chest and he was knocked backwards, wand flying in the air.

"Now, tell me old man, what rooms are they in?"

"I don't know what you are talking about." Tom said, standing. His voice was full of fear.

"I'll ask you one more time, where are Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger."

The two teen's heads shot in the others direction, finally acknowledging the other. Both pairs of eyes were wide with surprise, what could the Death Eaters want them?

"I would never tell you."

"So be it then, Crucio!"

An understanding passed between the two of them. The last thing they heard was Tom's scream as they ran back up the stairs.