Chapter Thirteen

As Hermione walked farther into the room. Mr. Weasley had to restrain Mrs. Weasley from running over to Hermione. Hermione sat down very slowly all the while looking at the room around her and everyone in it. The sense of dread that had formed in Hermione's stomach spread throughout her whole body. "H-h-headmaster, is everything all right?" she stammered out, looking Dumbledore in the eye.

The old man gave a deep sigh. "Hermione, I'm afraid I'm the barer of bad news."

"Sir?" she was liking the situation less and less.

"Earlier this evening there was an attack on your home." he said, just above a whisper.

"A-a-attack?"

"Yes, I'm afraid so."

"What happened? Who did it?" tears began to form in her eyes. One thought penetrated her mind: her parents.

"Death Eaters. They forced their way inside. I'm sorry to say that many of your families possessions were destroyed. The second the Order arrived the people responsible Apparated, without so much as a glimpse of who they could be." he hung his head.

"But Sir, my p-p-arents are they," she couldn't bring herself to say what could have befallen on her parents, "alright?" An eerie, deadly silence filled the room. Everyone in the room looked to the ground, except Hermione, who looked at Dumbledore. The tears in her eyes began to run down her face and became more frequent. "Sit, please. My parents....please...were they..." she swallowed. "killed..." she whispered. The word was almost inaudible. There was an intake of breathe from the others at Hermione's frank question. Hermione looked at her hands.

Dumbledore slowly shook his head. "No," Hermione let out a breathe she hadn't realized she had been holding. "but neither are they well." Hermione's head shot up. "They are at St. Mungo's at the moment, being treated for their wounds from an abundant amount of curses and spells." Dumbledore said this slowly, as if trying to choose his words correctly. He sounded even more upset as he said those words. Hermione let out another breath, and wiped away tears that were still falling. St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries was a very well respected Wizarding Hospital. Hermione was thankful that her parents were there.

The sun had begun to rise, and there was a couple minutes of silence, as Hermione finally calmed her tears

"Sir, may I see them?"

The Headmaster nodded. "Yes, you may go today." Hermione gave a very small, thankful smile. "I suggest that you change into some clothes and eat breakfast first. When you are ready, come back here for your departure. I'm very sorry Hermione." Dumbledore finished as he dropped his head.

"Thank you, Sir." Hermione stood up, shaking. Mrs. Weasley finally broke free from her husband's hold and ran to Hermione, engulfing her in a hug.

"I'm so sorry, dear." Hermione let out a few more tears onto Mrs. Weasley's coat. Once Mrs. Weasley let go Hermione gave a quiet, "Thank you Mrs. Weasley." and made her way to the door.

"You want us to walk you back to your dorm, Hermione?" Tonks whispered.

Hermione shook her head. "No, it's alright. I'll be fine."

Since it was Saturday there was hardly anyone up at this hour, and for that Hermione was thankful. She quietly snuck into her dorm and changed into some clothes and then snuck back out. She went to the Great Hall and was happy to see that only five other student were up. Two Hufflepuffs, two Ravenclaws, and Malfoy. Hermione sat down, with her back facing Malfoy. The last thing she wanted at the moment was to have another confrontation with Malfoy, let alone see him.

Even though she was hungry she didn't want to eat. The only thing she wanted to do was see her parents. The way Dumbledore had explained her parents current state made it sound like it was much worse than it appeared to be. He had said that they were being treated for numerous curses and spells, but the tone of his voice made it sound much worse. Deciding that it was going to be a long day, Hermione finally decided on eating a couple pieces of toast.

After five minutes of sitting in a lonely, horribly thoughtful silence Hermione got up. As she passed the Slytherin table she chanced a look at Malfoy. He was sitting alone, pushing the eggs on his plate around, and shaking slightly. It's like he's trying not to cry. Hermione thought as she went through the doors of the Great Hall.

Even if you didn't know Hermione you would be able to tell that something was wrong. The girl who usually walked with her head held high and a slight bounce in her step was now walking with her head turned to the ground and her hands in her pockets. The usual smile that accompanied her face was no where to be seen and her eyes lost her youthful spark. Her mouth was straight and her eyes hollow. Her was as blank as she could make, and she desperately tried to show no emotion.

By the time Hermione made her way to the flight of stone stairs that would take her to Professor Dumbledore's office more and more people began to rise and make their way to breakfast. She was almost in the home stretch of Dumbledore's office when she heard her name being called.

"Hermione! Hermione, wait!" Without even turning she knew who it was: Harry and Ron. She slowly turned to face them. "Hi." she said, trying her best to sound cheerful, she even managed a small smile.

"Hermione, what's wrong? We've been trying to get your attention these past two corridors?" Ron said out of breath.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked, seeing the look on Hermione's face, or the lack there of.

She said nothing, she merely shook her head. "Hermione, what's wrong?" With a deep sigh to control the tears that had somehow began forming Hermione told her best friends what had happened.

As Hermione finished she collapsed into a fit of sobs that had desperately been trying to fall all morning. As they tears began to fall, her knees went weak and both Ron and Harry had to catch her from falling to the ground.

"Oh, Hermione." Harry sighed. He knew the feeling that Hermione was feeling all to well. "I'm so sorry."

"Me too, Hermione." Ron added. Hermione just continued to cry.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Harry asked, trying to look Hermione in the eyes.

"Oh would you!" she asked, quickly shooting her head up.

"Course we will." said Ron.

The trio stepped into Dumbledore's office not five minutes later, Harry and Ron still rubbing a crying Hermione's back.

"Mum, Dad?" Ron asked, as they stepped in. Mr. And Mrs. Weasley were still in Dumbledore's office. "What are you doing here?"

"Your parents, Mr. Weasley, will be escorting Hermione to St. Mungo's today." Dumbledore said, from his staircase in the office.

"Um, Sir?" Harry asked. "Would it be alright if Ron and I go with Hermione?"

Dumbledore smiled slightly. "I see no problem with it. As long as Mr. And Mrs. Weasley here have no problem with it."

"Of course not." Mrs. Weasley said, taking Hermione into another bone crushing hug.

"Well, if we're ready." said Mr. Weasley, quietly, calmly, and sadly. "I think we should go." Everyone in the room nodded.

"We'll have them back by dinner, Albus." said Mrs. Weasley.

"Please, take your time." Hermione gave her Headmaster a small smile.

"Thank you sir." Dumbledore merely nodded and smiled in return.

"We'll be traveling by Flew Powder. Arthur will go first dear," stated Mrs. Weasley as she led Hermione towards the fire place, "And then you. I'll follow with Harry and Ron." Hermione nodded.

Mr. Weasley took a bag out of his pocket, and grabbed a little bit of powder that was in before handing the bag to his wife. He through the Flew Powder into the flames of the fire, which turned the burning red flames a brilliant green. Mr. Weasley stepped into the fire, yelled, 'St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries' and disappeared.

Hermione did they same as Mr. Weasley and as she stepped into the flames she felt the first wave of calmness she had all morning. The green, dancing flames engulfed her in a warm hug that she felt very secure and comfortable in.

"St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries!" Hermione yelled. And with that she was whipped away.