I

High school. The place where you meet new people and experience new things. The place where parents say you should make the best of it, since you only live those years once. The place where people explore themselves and find out what they want to be in life, what their purpose is.

It's Haechan's first year here, and he hasn't quite got the hang of it yet. He stares at his textbook, daydreaming about nonsense, until someone taps his shoulder.

"Hey, can I borrow a pencil?" The kid behind him asks.

Haechan turns and stares at him, perhaps for too long, until he actually processes what he said. He got lost in his eyes and didn't realize he was staring until the kid tilts his head, waiting for a response. "Oh, uh, sure." He digs through his bag and reaches for his pencil case, and hands him a pencil.

"Thanks." The kid says. "I'll give it back after class."

Haechan nods, and turns back to his desk. He screams internally. The kid behind him was Mark Lee, a sophomore. Someone who Haechan couldn't help but melt for. It was only 3 months into the school year and he had gotten the chance to talk to him quite a few times, despite his awkwardness.
Haechan tapped his pencil onto his paper, his mind rushing with thoughts. "Fuck, why am I so awkward?! He definitely noticed I was staring..."

***

As soon as the bell rang, Haechan jumped out of his seat and made a dash to the door. He looked straight ahead and made his way to the lunch room, not noticing that Mark called for him.

"...Haechan!... ugh, shit..."

A taller dude elbowed Mark. "What's with the yelling?"

"Nothing, it's just that I forgot to give Haechan his pencil back..." Mark murmured, still staring into the distance where the golden-haired boy once was.

The other smirks. "Ohh, Haechan huh? When are you gonna ask him out?" He teases.

"Johnny shut up! You're being too loud!" Mark pushes him in his side. "I'll do it... soon."

"You've been saying that since the beginning of time." He complained.

"Have not."

"Have too."

They go back and forth quarreling, until they reach the lunch room.

***

Haechan plops down at the lunch table, his hands pulling his hair. He groans in embarrassment. "I'm so stupid." His voice muffles as his arms cover his face.

"What happened?" His friend Renjun asked as he scooped food into his mouth. Haechan responded, but his voice wasn't heard well. "Dude speak up." He flicked his head.

Haechan winced and rubbed his head. He sat up and looked at his friend. "Mark asked for a pencil and I stared at him for too long." He massaged his head.

Renjun almost spit out his food. He covered his face with his hand and looked away until he swallowed his food and stopped smirking. "Really? Did you drool too?"

"No! It wasn't like that!" He defended, cheeks dusted with pink. He slumped back down in his seat. "I'm so fucking awkward."

A friend of the two came up to the table and greeted them. He turned and looked at Haechan weirdly. "You ok?"

"No, he embarrassed himself in front of Mark." Renjun stated.

"My god Haechan, just go confess before you embarrass yourself even more."