The Outing

'Your love says, like an honest gentleman, and
a courteous, and a kind, and a handsome...'

"You changed the key!"
Phubet burst into the elevator the instant the metal doors opened.
His key card did not work, and had to wait for Max to fetch him at the ground floor to bring him up.
"I do from time to time," Max shrugged, unfazed by Phubet's accusation, leaning casually against the cab wall as they rode to the eighth floor.
While the latter was feeling more and more agitated.

"Is he here?"
Phubet looked around frantically, as soon as they reached Max's studio.
"Who?"
Max returned with another question, calmly walking towards the Muy Thai ring to sit down by its side.
"The Pakorn brat."
"No, why would he be?"
"Don't play with me, Max."
"Why?" Max lifted an eyebrow, "you'll tell on me?"
"Is there anything to tell on?"
"No."
"Then, why the defensive mode?"
"Because you're attacking."
"Ok ok, I don't want to fight," Phubet lifted his arms in surrender, feeling dejected all of a sudden, "we never have before."
At his tone, Max felt bad.
He knew despite his harsh ways, Phubet always has his best interest in mind.
And he has a feeling it was not homophobia that Phubet was feeling, but the repercussions that they may face if the Monarch or society got to know.
Nattapol and a few other houses held much power and influence in the country.
And with power and influence came responsibilities.
As the first in line, Max has been drilled about these responsibilities since young.
So he knew his cousin's concerns well enough.
"Relax Phi, there's nothing going on," Max tried to convince him, "nothing for you to worry about anyways."
And he reached out to pull his agitated cousin down, to sit on the stool beside him.
"But you are friends with him?"
"I am."
"Is it serious?"
"The friendship?"
"Yes."
"As serious as our brotherhood," Max thumped Phubet's arm.
"Serious enough to die for?"
"Gosh, why so melodramatic?" Max snorted, "I've only known the guy for a week or two."
Phubet sighed, dropping on the stool at last, feeling tired all of a sudden.
Max was in duty at the suburbs that week, and Phubet drove by straight after office hours from the City Hospital to check on him.

"What's he like, anyways?"
"Like what?"
"I mean, you're friends with a Pakorn, for god's sakes?"
"He's human, Phi, just like you and me."
"Come now, what's he like, really? That you'd want to be friends with him?"
"He's different, from the Pakorns we know," Max tried to describe Tul as neutral as possible, "I mean. He's cool, interesting, nice."
"Nice, huh?" Phubet repeated, like it was an alien word, especially in context of his mortal enemy.
But after a while, Phubet looked at Max.
"Let's all hang out together then."
"What?"
"Yeah, let's do that."

Hang out? Tul and the boys? Max thought.
"Sure, why not, next week maybe," Max nodded after a quick deliberation, "I'll ask him."
"Ok," Phubet sighed. "Great."
Glad that Max was not hiding his new friend away like some mistress.
So he tried to explain himself to Max.
"I mean, please don't get me wrong," he started, "It's bad enough that he's a Pakorn, but seeing him so early in the morning the other day, coming out of your room, was weird, y'know?"
"I'm sorry, Phi," Max said, again understanding his cousin's worry, "but other than him being a Pakorn, there's nothing for you to worry about. We just fell asleep after a long day, that's all."
"Promise me?"
"I promise."
"Ok."
"Drinks?"
"You have something strong?"
"Pepsi?"
Phubet laughed.
"I'll make myself some coffee, you want one?" Phubet asked, getting up to head towards Max's living quarters, feeling relieved somewhat.
"Yeah, why not."
And still with a lingering sliver of guilt, Max followed his cousin to the back of the studio, praying that Tul will not come to visit that night.

***

Fortunately for Max, Tul could not visit that night.
Unfortunately for Tul, he had to endure a similar interrogation with Jane.