The Friendship

'Oh wilt thou leave me so unsatisfied'

"Anyways, I never did get to thank you."
"Thank me?"
"Yeah, for helping me out in the fight."
"You made it up by taking me to the hospital."
"I wouldn't have to, if you didn't get hurt in my fight."
"Ok then, stick around and help me out the next time I get into a fight, ok?" Max grinned at him sideways. "That'll make us even even."
"You get into fights a lot?"
"Nope, come to think of it," Max thought hard, "not since I was 16."
"So how long do I have to stick around til you do, then?"
"I dunno? Forever?" Max grinned mischievously.
Prompting Tul to roll his eyes.
Max laughed looking at Tul's exasperated look.
Finally getting to really talk with Tul was even better than he imagined.
Tul was was easy to talk to, easy to tease.
And his insights to life was interesting.

"So, how did the matchmaking go?"
"You know, huh?"
"Yeah."
"It was terrible."
"She was beautiful though."
"Outer beauty is often superficial."
"I suppose," Max nodded, "so... no marriage then?"
Max tried to be nonchalant, but he did not know why he wanted to hear Tul's affirmation on a 'no marriage deal' at that moment.
He was feeling weirdly territorial, somehow.
"No."
Yes!
"There will be."
What?
"But I thought you said it was terrible."
"The personal match is terrible. I mean, I don't think Khun Aim and I match at all. At least from my point of view," Tul sighed, "but the business match is excellent. And that's all that matters to the elders."
"I see," Max said, feeling as dejected as how Tul looked, "your family still believes in that, huh?"
"Yeah, it seems so," Tul said, swigging his coke like it was something stronger, "I'm still getting the hang of the Pakorn ways, but marriages seems to be tools to power."
"You ok with that?"
"Do I have a choice?"
"But it's your life you're selling out to."
"I'll marry her," Tul shrugged, "but she doesn't have to be a part of my life."
"Huh? How will that work?"
"I don't know yet, it's just something I console myself with," Tul gave a derisive laugh, looking sideways at Max.
Max gave a sad smile, his heart going to his new friend.
Friend, yes that how Max wanted to term Tul as.
I think he terribly needs one, Max thought.

"Let's change the subject, then," Max suggested.
"Ok."
"Sports. Do you like it?"
"I play rugby at my local club."
"Whoa!"
"You have a great body for rugby too," Tul said, looking at Max's fit body.
"Muy Thai and football. Safer."
"Muy Thai is safe?" Tul laughed.
"Maybe I just like the prayer dance part,"'Max laughed.

"So who's P'Jane really?"
"My childhood friend and confidante."
"Sure is a great friend, to follow you here."
You sure she's not a secret girlfriend or something? Green-eyed Max thought.
"She's also my Nanny."
"Geez, that sounds kinky," Max said.
"Kinky? P'Jane?" Tul laughed at the thought, "if you like being bossed around, I guess."
Max laughed nervously, having a mental picture of a Domi-Jane with a Docile-Tul.
"What are you thinking," Tul laughed, looking at Max's expression. "P'Jane's mom used to work for my mae. So, she insisted on looking after me the same."
"I see," Max nodded.
"She's just 7 years older, but acts like an old woman. So, I call her my Nanny, short for granny."
"Aaahh," came Max's relieved reply.

"Can I ask you something?"
And the easy chats went on.
Max just came back from the vending machine near the parking bays with some soda cans and mineral water.
The earlier food containers and empty coke bottles already disposed of.
The boys also decided to sit on the grass, stretching their long legs while leaning against an old tree.
They both anticipated it was going to be a long night.
"Sure."
"Why didn't you take my call?"
"I was nervous," Tul replied, twisting a mineral bottle open for Max before doing the same for himself.
"Why?"
"You're a Nattapol, in case you forgot," Tul said, "we're not even supposed to look at each other in the eye, let alone talk."
"Somehow you don't look like the type to care," Max deduced. "So tell me really."
Tul went quiet for bit, trying to arrange his thoughts before answering.
"I like you," he finally said, "from the time I saw you at the club. I just knew we'd hit it off, and I was worried what'll happen if our elders know."
Whaat... Max suddenly panicked, does he swing that way?
"You like me?" Max croaked.
Tul laughed, somehow reading Max's mind.
"As a friend, dude," he explained, "I don't swing that way."
Geez, did he read my mind?
Wait, he doesn't?
I should be relieved, right?
"Uhm," Max cleared his throat, "I know that."
"How could you?"
"Vibes, y'know."
"Uhuh..." Tul nodded, unconvinced.
"So, what will happen if our elders know?" Max tried to steer them back onto the earlier conversation.
"I don't know, I just got here, remember," Tul said, "I don't even know why our two families are fighting in the first place. It was just something my father warned me about."
"Really?"
"Yup, I guess my life has been riddled with fateful turns. So, at most times, I have no control over it," Tul said, looking out at the lake, "but as much as I can, I prefer to direct my own course, regardless of what the elders say."
"How so?"
Tul paused, trying to arrange his thoughts.
"Like observing you from the balcony was a choice, but you coming up to the balcony was fate. Then talking to you up there was a choice, but you coming to this park later, was fate."
"I see," Max nodded, "so, writing your number on my bike was a choice too?"
"Yeah, but so was not picking up your call."
"But the meeting at the hotel was fate."
"Yup," Tul turned towards Max and smiled.
"I like this fate-dude!" Max proclaimed.
"So do I, man," Tul laughed, "so, however the elders react if they find out we're friends later, I guess we'll just deal with it when it happens."
"If it happens," Max said, suddenly feeling apprehensive too, "let's be secret friends, then."
"Now that sounds kinky," Tul grinned.
Making Max laughed.
"It's weird, but I know what you mean," Max thought back, "when I first saw you at the party, it was like I met an old friend or something."
"Weird, huh?" Tul looked at him.
"Yeah," Max nodded, and later decided, "ok, since it's beyond our control and we won't know what'll happen anyways, let's just leave it be, huh?"
"Yeah, let's."