Head Rests and Questions

Oikawa sat on the couch, wondering why Iwa was taking so long. He was impatient, thinking about Iwa and the whole soulmate situation. He wished that Iwa would be his soulmate because that would make things so much easier. Lost in thought, he didn't notice Iwa coming out of the bathroom. When he felt the cushions shift he looked at the green-eyed boy beside him. He noticed his puffy eyes and how he was being extra silent. "Stop staring, Crappycawa." He hissed angrily, trying to cover the cracks in his voice. Oikawa obliged, and stopped staring, pushing aside the fact that Iwa appeared to have been crying. At least that's what it seemed, in his mind, he only thought about what could have hurt Iwa, was it something he said or done, was he actually crying, was he okay? But felt like he would have been bothering him if he would have asked questions. So instead he remained silent, not knowing what to say.

"Should we watch something Iwa-chan?" Oikawa asked, finally speaking after a while of awkward silence. Iwa cleared his throat. "Yeah, what should we watch?" Both pondered their options not knowing what something good to watch was. "Hmmm.... We should watch The Princess and the Frog!" Iwa raised an eyebrow, "The Princess and the Frog?" Oikawa nodded his head aggressively. "Yeah! It's a great movie!!" Iwa rolled his eyes as they got the movie set up because secretly Iwa loved that movie. (I've been on a Princess and the Frog kick lately)

They sat and watched, both agreeing that Friends on the Other Side is the best song in the movie, and by the end of it, Iwaizumi had his head leaning on Oikawa's shoulder. (Oh so cheesy) It wasn't long before they both realized, Iwa sitting up really fast. Blushes spread across their faces Iwa mumbling, "Sorry." Oikawa bit his lip, "It's okay... I actually kinda liked it." He said the last part quietly, both wanting and not wanting Oikawa to hear his words. Iwaizumi heard them.

He was shaken by the words he heard, Oikawa liked them to be that close? It felt all too much like a dream, a very simple dream at that, but it was a big thing for him. He held his breath, slightly panicking about his next move. He laid his head back down on his shoulder, finally releasing a breath. They were stiff at first but as the movie went on and he got more comfortable. After the movie finished Iwaizumi said goodbye and left.

...

Around 2 hours later Oikawa laid in his bed, still flustered about his time with Iwaizumi. He smothered his face with the pillow and thrashed around for a bit before getting up and grabbing a pen. He carefully traced out words on his skin until the following message was visible, How do you ask someone out? He capped the pen not expecting an instant response until he felt the ink crawl over his skin. Trying to figure out the same thing. I'm too much of a coward but I got to say, don't be like me. Just go for it. For some reason, these words made him happy. Just go for it. This replayed in his mind. Maybe he should, if he gets rejected, he gets rejected. But... he was close friends with Iwa. He didn't want to risk that. He didn't want to lose Iwa as a friend. Friend... Was he really content with that either? Is he okay with just being friends? Of course, he was. He would rather have him in his life as a friend rather than not at all. Right? He knew he had pushed aside the worry for too long, he had spent far too much time not thinking about it and he kinda hated the procrastination of his own thoughts. This was something he definitely needed to figure out. The question that frequently played in his mind. Should he as Iwa out?

The different scenarios played out in his head. He could be rejected and they could remain friends but is Oikawa gonna be okay with that? He could be rejected and they could no longer be friends and Oikawa would be heartbroken. Or the love would be returned and they could be happy. But then a particular scenario popped into his mind. Oikawa's love would be retired, they live happily for a while, then they meet their soulmates. Their real soulmates. Things end on account of that and even if they would be happy then, being with the love of their life, the person they are meant to be with but imagine them leaving like that. Ended because they found another. He hated that scenario. But he feared that would be what would happen. It seemed highly possible. That even if they were together, it wouldn't be forever. In his mind, he saw it as a lose-lose situation. Each way it would end in heartbreak, but which one would hurt more?

...

Iwaizumi felt confident in his response to his soulmate. He truly wished that others would have more courage than him and shoot their shot because he knew he was a coward. But he desperately wanted to change that. He wanted to change and be with Oikawa, even though it might pain him in the future. The imagined happiness pushed back the fear of rejection. The fear that Oikawa would not return the same feelings. But in the end, it probably wouldn't change anything. He would still probably not ask, and regret it after if he were to ask. But yet, it was always a thought at the back of his mind. A thought that would haunt him until he actually did end up asking. Maybe it would be better to just go for it.

Honestly I hate this chapter. It feels gross but this chapter is a little later than I would have liked and I figured it was more important to get one out. I feel like these last 2 chapters have been stiff and my writing is getting worse, but I am at a difficult place in the story and I am struggling to write chapters. It should get better soon, hopefully... Well anyway, tell me what you thought and if you have any criticism feel free to say it. I guess this is the end.

-1060 words total-