✦ FIVE - DO YOU NEED A REASON TO LOVE SOMETHING? ✦

"So why do you love stars so much?" Aiden asked, trying to make conversation whilst driving to wherever the hell he was taking us.

"Do you need to have a reason to love something?" I turned to him and shrugged.

Elliot scoffed in the back, "That's bull shit."

"What is?" I turned around to face him.

"As humans, we have reasons for everything. It's just how we are," he shrugged, looking out the window. He looked strange, squished in the back seat. He was tall, so his legs were pushed up against the seat in front of him.

I turned back around to face the front, "Maybe I don't know what my reason is."

"Trust me, you do," Elliot said

"Anyways, who's ready for some free pancakes!" Aiden cheered as he pulled into a fancy-looking brunch place.

"Me!" I shouted excitedly, clambering out of the car.

"Fuck off, I'm only buying her pancakes, I don't owe you anything," Elliot rolled his eyes as he walked in front of us while Aiden just laughed.

"Love you too, cuz," he shook his head as we all entered the restaurant, the smell of delicious french toast and waffles filled my nose.

"You know, maybe I'll have french toast instead," I said, following the waiter to our table.

Aiden smirked at Elliot, then at me, "You can have whatever you want, after all, you're not paying."

When we were comfortably sat down and all had a good look at the menu, we ordered our food (I got two pieces of french toast AND pancakes to Elliot's dismay).

"What's this place called? I've never seen it before?" I asked as I took a sip of my milkshake that had just arrived.

"You don't remember?" Aiden's perfect smile quivered for a second.

I shook my head. I was used to people having to remind me of things I've forgotten, "Nope, sorry."

Aiden smiled, "It's okay," he paused for a second, "when our moms' were friends they used to take us here."

The mention of his mother made Aiden's smile quiver again for only a split second. I'm sure mine did the same.

Our moms' were best friends when Aiden and I were growing up. We were pretty much raised together. But one day, they were driving home back from an art gallery and were hit by a car. Aiden's mom died straight away, but mine was in a coma for a month, before finally passing. It was hard, but Aiden and I got each other through it the best we could when at only 9 years old. We grew apart over the years though, he gained popularity and I stayed back with Ronnie and Sal.

"Oh," I nodded, thankfully to Aiden. I hated myself for not remembering things like that. The little memories that mattered, the memories of Mom.

Aiden cleared his throat and held up his own milkshake, "To Reggie, for making it through the toughest of times!"

I blushed at the gesture and raised my glass in the air, but Elliot's glass of water was still firmly on the table, he was looking at me, as though he was scanning my face, "And what tough times would those be?"

My jaw dropped a little at the bluntness of his words but I quickly picked it up.

"Elliot..." Aiden warned but I stopped him.

I smiled at Aiden, then at Elliot, "I have a severe brain injury. Long story short, last year on my sixteenth birthday I slipped and fell off one of the cliffs by Eagle Cove. I lost parts of my memory, that's why Aiden has to remind me of stuff sometimes."