eight

[ only humans experience heartbreak so intensely that it kills them. ]

jisung_park: are you busy?

chenlele: hi bubby! not really, just finishing up some editing. why? did you miss me mwah

jisung_park: of course i did, but i also wanted to take you out today. i meant to ask you yesterday, but yeahhhh

chenlele: head so good it made you speechless, i understand

jisung_park: alright dummy, was that a yes?

chenlele: obviously. be there in fifteen

Chenle arrived in twelve minutes and twenty-three seconds with a gentle knock at the door. Jisung pocketed his phone, wallet, and keys and threw a jacket over his shoulders before joining Chenle on the welcome mat. Chenle pressed his lips briefly against Jisung's and linked their arms, smiling all the while. The soft sleeves of his baby blue sweater brushed against Jisung's arm and sent a shiver down his body. Chenle's presence affected him in a way no drug could imitate. This was love in it's rawest form, and Jisung never wanted the ecstasy to end.

"So, where are we going?" Chenle asked when Jisung sat in the driver's seat, turning his key in the ignition. Jisung smiled and backed out of the parking lot, silently refusing to give details about their date. Chenle whined and slumped in his seat, feet kicking at the underside of his dashboard. His platformed converse made a heavy thumping noise that distracted Jisung, and he placed a hand on Chenle's leg to stop him. Driving with one hand proved difficult, but Jisung relished in the feeling of Chenle's hand intertwining with his own, fingers picking at the holes in his fishnets. His black shorts stopped around mid-thigh, and Jisung appreciated the smoky black eyeshadow that pulled the entire look together.

Jisung pulled into the parking lot of the nearest Walmart and felt Chenle's eyes boring questions into the side of his face. He got out of the car and jogged to open Chenle's door.

"Our date is at Walmart?" Chenle asked, linking their hands again and grabbing a small handled basket from the stack.

"No, but what's a date without snacks? Any preferences?" Jisung scanned the candy aisle despite knowing what he wanted as he waited for Chenle's reply. The man hummed thoughtfully and reached for a box of Sour Patch Kids. Jisung grabbed his supply of Junior Mints and Swedish Fish, and Chenle snatched a bag of Reese's at the last second. The next stop was the drink aisle, and Chenle chose a pink lemonade, while Jisung grabbed his mixture of lemonade and tea.

They were almost to the register lines when Jisung felt a hesitant tap on his shoulder. The tapper, a teenager with hot pink hair and enough piercings to break a metal detector, smiled guiltily.

"Hi!" She greeted, and Jisung saw her lower lip trembling. "I know this is kinda intrusive, but I've followed you on Tiktok since you began, and I was wondering if you'd sign my hoodie, please?" Jisung noticed the black hoodie clutched in a death grip between her fingers and nodded politely. His merchandise was more minimalistic than Chenle's, with fewer pastels and more neutral tones. The hoodie she owned was Jisung's first release, a replica of his dance jacket with his name and number printed on the back.

"What's your name?" He asked after uncapping the sharpie she gave to him.

She startled at the question, bouncing uneasily on her heels. "It's Zoe."

Jisung wrote a short message on the white numbers and signed his name before capping the marker and handing it back. "Well, Zoe, thank you for everything. It's people like you that keep me dancing."