Death Wish

"DO YOU HAVE A DEATH WISH?" Amos Diggory demanded the second his youngest son opened his light blue eyes. He was frowning, which he usually did when Alexander had gone and thrown himself in the hospital wing and because of this constant frowning he was cursed with many wrinkles as well as graying hair from the stress he had to endure from having a sickly child. His frown screamed many emotions but his tired grey eyes were filled with fear.

Alexander winced at the look and rubbed his eyes, his vision danced with black lights and colors swarmed from the pressure he applied, with difficulty he sat up and leaned against the metal headboard, it was cold and creaked under his weight, but he was used to it by now. Glancing around he noticed they were alone, his brother was no where to be seen. 

"You're brother is not here. I sent him to bed about an hour ago, no need for him to lose sleep in those uncomfortable chairs." Amos said once he noticed who Alexander was looking for. "Now, answer my question. Do. You. Have. A. Death. Wish?"

"I — well, no."

"Then stop, my son! You have to be careful, Hogwarts is such a large place, if your brother had not found you when he did — then. . Then." His father couldn't finish his statement, his kind and droopy eyes filled with tears and he rubbed them tiredly.

Alexander felt a lump form in his throat at the way his fathers voice cracked. He knew he worried others because of his condition, he also knew of the huge toll he put on others because of it. He hated it. He hated being the reason they couldn't relax, he hated how much stress he gave the ones close to him. He hated himself with a fiery passion because of how weak he was. He didn't ask to be born this way, and he certain wouldn't have knowing how much it effects his family. He also knew he had a good chance at dying young, which only added fuel to everyones fire.

"Dad, my throat," Alexander coughed out. His mouth was as dry and throat would tickle everytime he tried to breath. His father immediately reached for the long blue vial that was on the bedside table and held it to his son's mouth, tilting it so the cool substance would drain out.

Sighing in relief Alexander sat up straighter as his father place the vial back where it originally rested.

"Now you are to always stay in someone's sight, okay? At all times! Your brother will be more than happy to watch over you, I've already told him to keep a closer eye on you. From now on you'll behave, no running out of the hospital whenever you're not cleared, or else I'll come and drag you home myself."

"Yes, dad," Alexander bashfully agreed. "But Ced shouldn't have to suffer because of me, he has his own friends he spends time with, he shouldn't have to be my babysitter."

"Oh hush, you know for a fact your brother would gladly drop all of his friends for you—"

"That's what I'm saying!" Alexander pointed out. "He shouldn't have to sacrifice himself for me."

Amos studied his son's upset form, which seemed smaller than it really was with the way he was hugging himself tightly, aggravated tears shining in his light blue eyes. Amos sighed before cautiously sitting on the bed, next to his sons feet, turning to face Alexander. "Son, some people are worth sacrificing for."

"But I don't want him to—"

"It doesn't matter what you want. Now, I want you to think for me, okay? What if roles were flipped, what if Cedric was sick and not you? Wouldn't you sacrifice any and everything for that boy?"

"Of course I would. I love him. Damn, dad, I love him more than I love myself."

"And he loves you the same way." Amos said, moving closer and opening his arms towards the younger boy and Alexander flung himself into his fathers arms. His throat stung from the lack of oxygen, but Alexander knew he if didn't hold his breath he would cry. And he didn't want to cry in front of his father and worry him more. So he swallowed the lump in his throat and hid his face in his fathers dragonhide jacket collar. "Cedric would do anything for you, just like how you would do anything for him. He wants to help. Don't push him away."

"I just don't want to worry him, or take his time —he's only young once." The boy muttered.

"As long as he has you, he's happy."

"And as long as I have him, I'm happy."

A thing not many people knew was that the hospital wing had a shower room, technically it was Madam Pomfrey's but since Alexander spent most of his time cooped up in the wing, she allowed him to use her showers. So the first thing next morning he took a short shower, dressing in comfortable oversized clothes, before exiting, a line of steam following him.

Exiting the short hallway he entered the medical room, rows upon rows of empty pristine white beds — well, all were empty save for his, which had his twin sitting on it.

"Ced."

The boys head immediately snapped to look at him and Alexander felt his heart drop at the sight. Cedric had deep purple shadows under his grey eyes, which were usually sparkling with happiness, but were now tired and red tinted, like he had spent the night hours crying instead of sleeping. His brown hair was a mess and he was still wearing his school uniform which was wrinkled and disheveled now. Cedric sprung up and practically flew across the room, pausing only to slow down a second before he collided with his brother, sending them both stumbling back a few steps before they caught themselves. Cedric's arms were wrapped tightly around his shoulders, squeezing him so tightly Alexander thought he just might never let go, but he wasn't complaining, he would rather like to stay in this position for forever, nothing could hurt them as long as they were together. Alexander rested his head on Cedric's shoulder, looking up to see Madam Pomfrey staring at them with a soft smile, she nodded to the breakfast the house elfs made him that rested on his nightstand.

Mouthing 'thank you' to her, she turned and went back to her job of sorting through her herbs and potions, making sure she has all the necessaries.

"You scared me."

Alexander's heart shattered at the sound Cedric small voice that was tainted with heavy emotion. Alexander tightened his grip on his brother, taking deep breaths to keep away any possible tears. "I know, I'm a terrible brother."

Cedric jerked away quickly, holding Alexander at arms length to make sure the boy saw his face clearly. "You are not a terrible brother. Don't you dare say that again."

"Yeah. . ." Alexander trailed off with an awkward smile, of course he knew he was a terrible brother, he is the reason the boy he loved most in the world spent hours crying away into the night. "Did you sleep?"

"Yes." Cedric nodded.

"Lair."

"I did sleep," Cedric frowned, "not much, but I did."

Alexander sighed before grabbing Cedric's hand and pulling him over to the bed he has long claimed. "Let's share my breakfast than we can sleep on this uncomfortable bed, deal?"

Cedric stared at him for a minute before smiling and shaking Alexander's outstretched hand. "Deal."

And by the time Madam Pomfrey went to check on the twins they were both fast asleep shoulder-to-shoulder on the small bed, the white sheets were draped across Cedric and she knew Alexander must've done that once the boy passes out. She smiled before enlarging the blanket and covering them both with it, she paused when Cedric shifted in his sleep, but smiled when he rested his head on his brother's arm, stepping back she closed the curtains around the boys and casted a silencing charm so they wouldn't be disturbed.

Alexander shifted, turning to face his brother and hugging him, mumbling something that sounded alot like 'dont leave me,'  all subconsciously.

Published
Nov 22, 2020

This chapter is unedited, so sorry if you see a spelling error.

Also, some angst/fluff here. Hope you enjoyed, lol, sorry for not updating this for a short while. No Fred here again, but he'll be in the next one, promise.

If you liked don't forget to vote and comment whatever you'd like to see.

Stay safe!
:)