Running up that hill

Running Up That Hill
rightonthelimit

Summary:

When Harry witnesses a deaf boy named Tom getting harassed, he's quick to stand up for him. At that moment he doesn't know Tom is going to be the love of his life, and he doesn't know what's going on inside Tom's mind. He never will.

You don't wanna hurt me, but see how deep that bullet lies. Unaware that I'm tearing you asunder, there's a thunder in our hearts, baby.'

Depending on how you look at it, strangers really are just friends we don't know yet.

Just think about it – when you first laid eyes on your current friends, did you instantly know their names and their favorite colors, what they had in common with you? The answer should be no, unless you're a psychic, which Harry didn't really believe in anyway.

With this in mind, Harry found it odd that people always had their judgment ready about strangers and avoided them like the plague when strangers could mean so much to you, and then was overwhelmed by the profound hypocrisy behind that statement. Although he truly felt this way, he tended to try and distance himself from others as much as possible too. What was the cause of that? Harry was uncertain. He wasn't a philosophical person yet he knew that it was because of what society had implanted in his head. Like all those hipster Facebook users said – society's a bitch and life fucks you up the ass whenever it can.

Or perhaps they're less crude when posting this on their Facebook wall, whatever. Harry wasn't sure. He only used the computer when he did his homework or was in need for some porn when his fantasies didn't suffice.

Normalcy is determined by the masses yet Harry wondered – who was it to decide that strangers are always dangerous? Was it fear that made people instinctively hate everything they couldn't instantly grasp with their peanut sized brains in an odd way of self-defense? The questions were dizzying and entirely confusing and something a teenage boy shouldn't be thinking of on a perfectly fine Tuesday afternoon.

Harry did know one thing for sure.

The tall boy being pushed around by fellow members of Harry's football team didn't deserve it, even if he was a stranger to Harry.

'Hey! Knock it off!' Harry yelled. The tall boy looked around in shock, his body frigid, his books falling to the ground in a way that made Harry wince. His fellow team members had always been assholes, but it wasn't until now that Harry realized they were cruel too.

And just because this boy was another nameless stranger. A stranger who was someone's son, maybe someone's brother, someone's friend or boyfriend. The unfairness of the situation struck Harry in the wrong way. Just because no one around had ties with this boy, it didn't make his emotions of any less value. He was still a person.

Harry shoved Draco off the boy and sneered at him, standing defensively in front of the stranger. 'You asshole! What did he ever do to you?!' Harry demanded.

'He's a fucking freak, Potter, always walking around like he's hot shit when he's just a handicapped retard!' Draco exclaimed. Harry's eyes widened and he turned his head to look at the boy. The boy was staring intently at his face but he wasn't saying a thing, and Harry could see the little hearing aids in his ears. The reason why Harry hadn't seen this boy before was suddenly so obvious that Harry felt flustered for not having come up with it. As class president, Harry knew pretty much everyone who attended his school.