Unedited Chapter 1

Just as she was about to hit the ground, the loud blaring of her alarm and Katsuki's incessant stomping throughout the house tore her eyes open. The now fourteen year old girl bit her tongue to hold in the scream of terror just as her twin burst through the attic hatch and glared at his sister. The two siblings stare at one another for several tense moments, their identical eyes searching each other for any sign of unrest.

"You good?" Her nod in response was almost too quick, but Katsuki knew better than to push things with their parents in the house. It never ended well if they were forced to acknowledge the younger twin's existence. So Katsuki narrowed his eyes and slowly descended the ladder, pulling the hatch shut above him. That parting glare, a promise to continue the conversation during the walk to school.

Kaida sighed quietly. It was no use. He always knew when she had a nightmare. But that makes it sound like there were nights, or even days, when nightmares didn't plague her every breath.

Tiredly, the teenage girl rubbed her face and grimaced at the rough feeling of acne scratching at her hands. Letting her body stretch and shake the lingering fear from her limbs, Kaida crawled out of bed and searched for a clean set of undergarments and her middle school's uniform. Before opening the hatch to her tiny attic room, she lifted her arm to sniff herself. She held back her groan of frustration as the horrid stench of teenage hormone induced body odor assaulted her nose, she would have to shower and face the wrath of her parents if they decided to walk in on her.

Determination set in Kaida's brow as she thought about how they ignored her as much as they could, but the moment her existence inconvenienced them, there was no stopping the viscous beating that always followed. Today, she couldn't let that happen. It was the day before the UA Entrance Exam, and she needed to make sure her skin was as unmarred as possible if she wanted a chance to be accepted into the hero program. They surely wouldn't accept a student with a ton of developing bruises all over her body lest they be a trouble-maker or unable to even defend themselves.

Kaida had successfully avoided her parents' wrath long enough for all of her previous injuries to fully heal, with the exception of a few scabs and old bruises here and there. All of which could be written off as the battle scars of a clumsy child if they were even seen to begin with. But with the practical part of the exam, Kaida was not willing to take any chances. All she had to do was get through the rest of today and tomorrow morning.

The ladder creaks with the strain of holding all of her weight, Kaida's swollen bottom lip showing the effects of the fears those sounds set off in her mind. Fear spurs her body into action as she quickly and quietly folds the ladder into the ceiling compartment and dashes into the bathroom on silent feet.

A timer starts in her head as she races through her morning routine; brushing her hair and her teeth at the same time while she waits for the shower water to heat up, stripping her clothes and burying them in her brothers hamper so her mother wont find out she put them there (it was just an old shirt of his anyway), grabbing her face wash and stepping into the shower to scrub her skin and her scalp raw. All that is done in five minutes flat, but it takes her another seven to finish changing, put on deodorant, towel dry and brush her hair, and throw it into its iconic dual ponytails. The damn brush kept getting caught in knots.

Footsteps echo in the staircase, and Kaida's anxiety rips the brush through her hair one last time before grabbing a hair tie and calmly stepping out of the bathroom with her hair half done and her gaze lowered. The harsh glare of her father burns holes in her scalp for exactly sixty seconds before her brushes past her and closes the door to the bathroom. A silent sigh escapes her chest, and Kaida takes this chance to escape to the genkan to grab her shoes and silently exit the hellhole she lives in.