Chapter One: Enchanted Dance

Elysian (Adj.) : Beautiful or creative; divinely inspired; peaceful and perfect

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐚; 𝐁𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐃𝐚𝐰𝐧 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Giselle, a weak-hearted young girl who is adored by her native villagers, lives with her watchful mother, Berthe.'

London's Royal Opera House buzzed with an electrifying energy as the audience settled into their seats, eagerly anticipating the evening's performance. The opulent hall was bathed in a warm, golden glow, setting the stage for an enchanting night of ballet .

Backstage, in the heart of the bustling dressing rooms, Ophelia stood before a grand mirror, adorned in the ethereal costume of Giselle. Her raven hair was meticulously styled into a bun, with delicate wisps framing her face. The soft, pale glow of stage makeup accentuated her features, and her deep brown eyes sparkled with a mix of excitement and concentration.

Tonight, Ophelia was the embodiment of grace, portraying the titular role in the classic ballet "Giselle." The ballet told the haunting tale of a young peasant girl, Giselle, who falls in love with the deceitful Albrecht. The poignant narrative is a delicate dance between love, betrayal, and the supernatural.

As Ophelia prepared for her entrance, the history of "Giselle" echoed in her mind. The ballet, originally choreographed by Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot, premiered in Paris in 1841. Set in the Rhineland during the grape harvest, the story unfolds in two acts—Giselle's life as a vivacious village girl and her spectral existence as a Wilis, vengeful spirits of jilted brides who died before their wedding day.

Ophelia's ballet style was often described as mesmerizing and reminiscent of a swan gliding across a moonlit lake. Every movement was executed with precision, each arabesque and pirouette weaving a tale of beauty and sorrow. She had an otherworldly ability to convey the emotions of the character through the poetry of her dance.

As Ophelia took a deep breath, the echo of Isabella Swan's voice lingered in her thoughts. Isabella, or Bella, as she was affectionately called, was Ophelia's younger sister. They shared a bond forged not by blood but by choice and love as Ophelia was adopted. Ophelia had taken on the responsibility of guiding Bella through the challenges of life, much like a guardian angel.

Their connection ran deep, rooted in the memory of the fateful day when Ophelia's world collided with Bella's parents, Charlie Swan and Renee.  Ophelia's elegance and grace had captivated the small town of Forks, Washington, and it was during a television broadcast of one of Ophelia's performances that Charlie had first glimpsed the ballerina who would become an integral part of their lives.

Now, as Ophelia stood in the wings, the distant image of Charlie sitting in his favorite chair, watching the performance on a small television screen in the cozy living room of the Swan residence, flashed in her mind. The miles between London and Forks seemed to dissipate as the magic of ballet bridged the gap.

The orchestra's first notes filled the air, signaling Ophelia's cue. With a final glance at her reflection, she stepped into the luminescent world of the Royal Opera House, ready to enchant the audience with the haunting beauty of "Giselle" and the grace of a swan in flight.

'Prince Albrecht, a nobleman who is already engaged to a noblewoman named Bathilde'

Prince Albrecht-Loys aka Emile, her vampire best friend...yes vampire, smiled at her as the two danced together in sync amongst the villagers.

Ophelia's POV

Giselle found out that 'Loys' is actually Prince Albrecht and became inconsolable when faced with his deception. Knowing that we can never be together, she flew into a mad fit of grief in which all the tender moments she shared with "Loys" flashed before her eyes. I began to dance wildly and erratically demonstrating my anger and despair, causing her heart to give out. I collapsed before dying in Emile's arms. Hilarion and Albrecht turn on each other in rage before Albrecht ran to the curtains.

The curtains closed as we prepared for Act II. 

"Great job. Li" Emile said, acting like he was catching his breathe. 

"You too Emile, thanks for not letting me hit my head when died in your arms", I said sarcastically. He actually hit my head on the ground when I 'collapsed', I literally heard the 'boink'. Emile just started laughing at me apologizing repeatedly.

{ACT II}

The curtains opened and I waited for my turn as Emile was on stage. It was late at night, Hilarion mourns at Giselle's forest grave, but was frightened away by the arrival of the Wili. The Wili were the spirits of maidens who were betrayed by their lover. Many Wilis were abandoned on their wedding days, and all died of broken hearts. They danced beautifully, capturing the ghostly feeling. The Wilis, led by their merciless queen Myrtha, dance and haunt the forest at night to exact their revenge on any man they encounter, regardless of who he may be, forcing their victims to dance until they die of exhaustion. I wouldn't be surprised if they existed considering that I've met vampires and werewolves.

I appeared again from the cut-outs and made my way to Albrecht after being summoned by the Wilis. Albrecht arrives to lay flowers on Giselle's grave and he weeps with guilt over her death as I danced around him. He begs her forgiveness. Giselle, her love undiminished unlike her vengeful sisters, gently forgives him. I disappeared to join the rest of the Wilis and Albrecht desperately followed me.

Meanwhile, the Wilis have cornered a terrified Hilarion. They use their magic to force him to dance until he is nearly dead, and then drown him in a nearby lake. Then they spy Albrecht, and turn on him, sentencing him to death as well. He pleads to Myrtha for his life, but she coldly refuses. Giselle's pleas are also dismissed and Albrecht is forced to dance until sunrise.

However, the power of Giselle's love counters the Wilis' magic and spares his life. The other spirits return to their graves at daybreak, but Giselle has broken through the chains of hatred and vengeance that control the Wilis, and is thus released from their powers and will haunt the forest no longer. After bidding a tender farewell to Albrecht, I twirled to Giselle's grave to rest in peace. The curtains closed as Emile aka Loys laid by Giselle's grave.

The applause of the audience died down as we bowed down, I felt relaxed, and a smile to form on my lips as looked at Emile, one thing was for sure... I was one lucky girl to receive a partner and best friend like him. I remembered that my family was watching me on the Television which made me tear up. This was perfect indeed. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~