Too Late

Remus POV:

My heart thudded frantically and my legs burned but not once did we slow on our journey. The top of the staircase came into view and I almost sighed in relief. We're here! However, when we burst through the door, it was empty. I felt my heart fall to my feel and shatter into a million pieces. We were too late.

Slughorn POV:

I had been responsible for a student in Slytherin who had just killed themselves. What have I done?! How could I have failed at this?! My career is over! 

James POV:

Just seeing the scene mad my heart shatter. His robe, covered in blood. His scarf and, of course, the suicide note. I saw McGonagall walk over to the note and open it. I honestly think this is the only time I have ever seen McGonagall cry in my entire life. I saw her hand it to Reg who had collapsed against the wall, Lucius' arm around his shoulder. Guilt. I had robbed him of another brother. First, Sirius. Then, Severus. 

Just before we left, he passed me the letter and told me to give it to Lily. As soon as we got to the dormitory, Sirius ripped the letter away from me and opened it. Remus tried to tell him off but our curiosity soon won over. I regret that now.

Dear Reg, Lily and Cius,

I'm sorry. I'm sorry it had to end like this. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner.

Everyday, you ask me the same question. "how are you?", do I answer you with something else other than "I'm fine"? No, I don't. But this time I will tell the truth and say I'm not fine. You know why I'm not fine?  Because I'm tired of living. I'm tired of seeing everyone's faces. I'm tired of looking at myself in the mirror, crying. I'n tired of being alone when I need someone to talk to. I'm tired of feeling like this. And I'm tired of being me. But thank you all.

Thank you for the friendship, thank you for the smile. Thank you for the love you showed me even though it was only for for a while. True, my heart was broken and yes, my eyes did cry. But the pain is all over now because i have learned to say goodbye.

I love you so much, please don't cry when I'm dead.

I'm sorry,

Severus.

Lily POV:

I went down to the common room to see the boys crowded round a paper. They were crying. How unusual. James was the first to see me and he walked over to give me a hug. He kept muttering "it's all my fault". I didn't understand until Sirius cane to rip James off me and give me the letter. I let out an inhuman cry of anguish. It attracted a lot of attention but it didn't matter. None of it did anymore. I had lost my best friend. I left him for the man he hated and was bullied by in his most difficult moment and now..... He left me. Forever.

Somewhere inside me, I found the strength to get up and run for Reg and Cius. As I barged into the Slytherin common room, Regulus looked up. His face was tear-tracked and exhausted already. Lucius was numbly staring into the fire, state no better. I couldn't find the words to say anything so Regulus simply gestured to the spot next to him. I sat and let him lay a head on my shoulder. It was Lucius who spoke.

"How did we not notice? Where did we go wrong?" 

"I dunno Cius, I dunno."

"Do you remember the late nights? We would avoid the big parties and get together just to read, eat junk, talk shit about pureblood prejudice and our parents. We could talk about anything and everything. We told him and he was there for us. He could always tell if were in a bad mood or upset or anything. And we didn't see his until it was too late."

"You guys were close?" I was surprised at how close they were to Severus at this stage.

"We were more than friends, we were brothers. We told each other everything. He had this one secret and we didn't know. We should have known."

The tears shed that day were unimaginable. When Dumbledore made the announcement, the shock among the student body was tremendous. A section of his letter was read out for the whole school to hear. Thank you for the friendship, thank you for the smile. Thank you for the love you showed, even though it was only for a while. True, my hear was broken and yes, my eyes did cry. But the pain is all over now because I have learned to say goodbye.

For a week, the marauders were given hateful glances and disappointing looks by teachers. Eventually, everything went back to normal. There was no body to bury so the funeral did not take place. Regulus, Cius and I paid our respects by setting off floating lanterns into the sky. Regulus had written him a heartbreaking poem he wrote in front of the entire school. News in the Daily Prophet said that Severus' grandfather, multi-billionaire Oberon Prince (many purebloods were astonished by the revelation) , believed he was still alive and had detectives at work to search for him. A small part of me wished that it was true. But I knew it wasn't. There was no way he could survive that much blood loss. But then again, Sev was always a genius.

 But then again, Sev was always a genius