VI

The cold air blew against my face gently, and I shivered. The only sound was that of my shoes tapping against the cobblestone walkway, the wind rustling the plants, and the hoot of a distant owl. The noise of the manor was fading away quickly. I sat down on the stone bench next to some beautiful roses.

        I plucked one carefully and breathed in the beautiful and delicate scent. I smiled. I had always liked roses, but this one seemed so perfect to me. As I admired the rose, I felt someone, or something watching me. I froze, and slowly turned around. The butler that had greeted my mother and I was on the roof of the mansion staring down at me. I gulped and quickly tried hiding the rose, but a sharp pain stabbed the palm of my hand. Blood oozed down from the wound, and I quickly searched around for anything to wrap my hand in. In the process I saw another pair of eyes, blue ones. The owner was coming over to face me.

        "Oh hello! Are you hear from the party?" The voice belonged to a friendly looking blond boy, who was wearing what looked like gardener's clothing. I just nodded. He noticed my hand.

        "What happened?" He pointed to my hand.

        I felt myself turn red from embarassment. "Err, well... the roses..." I nodded towards the rosebushes, and didn't say anything more.

        "Oh! Well here!" He handed me a hankerchief. I smiled and took it, and wrapped my hand with it.

        "I almost forgot! I'm Finny, the gardener!"

        "Nice to meet you Finny. I'm (y/n). Thanks for the hankerchief!"

        He nodded. "You should go back to the party now. I'm heading to my quarters now. It's best if you don't stay here alone."

        I didn't want to but I listened. Before heading back inside though, I looked back up to the roof. The butler was still there. Involuntarily, and shiver ran threw me. I hastily hurried inside.