Chapter 6

The woman takes me to a room with two beds. One of them looks like a kid's bed and I guess it was Suzanne's. She's clearly out of her mind if she kept all those things, but that's part of being a Crank. I should've kept at least one knife in case she got hungry. The only reasonable thing to do now is talking to Thomas.

Hey, where are you? I ask him, waiting for a response.

In a smelly room. I bet you are luckier than us. Do you want to rest this night or should we escape now?

Do you think I want to spend any second more here with this Crank? She's insane, Thomas. She thinks I'm her dead daughter!

Maybe we're the lucky ones after all. Ok, don't worry, we'll get you out. Ask to go to the bathroom or something.

I stand up from my bed and go to my 'mother'. "Where is the bathroom?"

She flinched a bit, surprised by my sudden question. "Oh, it's to the left, you'll see it, it has a big sign on it."

I get out trying not to go too fast, so no one would get suspicious. I skip the bathroom, having no intention to get in that room. It's the Cranks' public bathroom, I'd rather eat my own fingers. What now? I ask Thomas without knowing where I'm heading to.

Do you know where the garage is?

No. Could you please come get me? Some Cranks are looking weird at me and I'm scared.

I'm right in front of you. I lift my head trying to find Thomas. When I see his familiar silhouette, I run to him and jump to hug him. "Thank god you're ok." he sighed and led me to the garage. Most of the Cranks were asleep, so we had nothing to worry about. Minzy was waiting there for us. Maybe Thomas took her there before coming after me. 

We get in and I turn on the light. A tall blonde haired boy was leaned over one of the cars. "You're not going anywhere." he threatens us in a thick British accent.

"Jesus fucking Christ, the universe really hates me!" Thomas snapped, having a déjà vu feeling.

"Of course it does if you insult god like that. Now, where are you going?" the boy continues, coming closer to us.

"None of your business. How did you know we were about to come here?" I dare to ask him, not knowing if it was a good idea.

"I happen to be able to hear people's thoughts." he stops as a smile appears on his face. "And guess what I just found out." he chuckled, proud of himself.

"That means you know why we're here and that we can help you."

"Exactly. I want you to take me with you."

"Not gonna happen." Thomas cuts him off faster than I could comprehend what he said.

"Guess I'll just... Announce the others." he teases us, sliding a finger on the phone next to him.

Thomas didn't want to give up, but when the boy picked up the handset, he sighed and crossed his arms. "Fine, you're coming." we get in the car, Thomas sitting in the driver seat with me next to him, leaving Minzy and that Crank in the back. "Now that we have to drag you with us, you might as well tell us your name."

"Isaac."

"I'll kill myself." Thomas replies fast and brief while starting the car and driving out of the settlement. He didn't turn the lights on to not draw attention. Maybe the fact that we have a Crank with us will be useful, we'll have someone to test the cure on. Well, that if he agrees.

After a few hours of complete boredom, I remember what Isaac said. How many people can read minds? Can they all speak too? Until now I hoped me and Thomas are the only ones to feel more special, but I don't have anything unique. Now I have to be careful about my thoughts, I don't want him to know every secret of mine. I can't believe I can't have privacy in my own mind. Is he listening now? If he does, he should know that what he does is weird and a privacy violation. A sudden thought passed through my mind. "How did you realize you have this power?" I ask Isaac, shifting on my seat to see him.