Chapter 13

I woke out with a sigh, gasping for air. Dying is not a pleasant experience, it really felt weird. I look down and see the stab Thomas gave me. It doesn't hurt and my organs don't seem affected by it, so I'm fine. The only problem is the bleeding. I'm already losing much blood with my leg, which didn't heal after a whole fucking month. No one is in the same room as us and I can't call for help. Even if they heard me, I don't think they'd be willing to help me.

I want to wake the boys out, but I notice someone tapped my mouth. They must've done it while I was asleep. Well, great. There's still one thing to do. I won't like it, but what other option do I have? I balance back and forth a few times until the chair falls on the back and breaks in pieces. It hurt, but I'm free. Partially free, my wrists are still tied. I bring them to front and rip the tape from my mouth. Why can't these people use rope? It would've been way easier to get my hands out of it. I take a deep breath and bring my hands to my stomach, splitting them apart before they touch my body. The tape rips, leaving red marks on my wrists. Forget what I said about the chair, this shit hurt even more.

Now that I'm completely free, I go to Thomas. "Hey, wake up." I don't get an answer, but I can see the tears from his eyes. Did he really cry for a dream? "Thomas, it was just a nightmare, get over it. I'm ok and so are you." I don't want to make any loud noises to not attract Cranks to us. If the previous events taught me something, it's that tape hurts and it's silent. I grab the edge of the piece from his face. "Sorry for this." I rip it fast and Thomas' eyes open immediately.

"Tessa!" before I could tell him to shut up because we're not safe, his arms snap the tape that was holding his wrists back like it was nothing and jumps to hug me. "I'm sorry." I hear him sob on my shoulder.

"You don't have to, it was just a dream. Wake Isaac up and let's get the hell out of here." I point to the blond and turn around to 'find an exit'. The truth is I don't want Thomas to see my wound, he already blames himself enough.

"Morning." Isaac yawns. Did the poison affect him that much that he forgot where we are? "Oh, right. Sorry." he says after looking at the room. "The only exit is locked, we'll have to wait for them to come and knock them out." me and Thomas look at each other, feeling stupider than ever. "You guys really didn't think about that?" he chuckles, feeling superior for once in his life.

"Don't get used to it." I reply and go back to my chair. "One problem. I don't think that's usable anymore." I point to the shattered pieces on the floor.

"Hide somewhere, but don't attack the Cranks unless we can take them." Thomas says while putting the tape on his mouth. Hide somewhere. Very helpful.

I look around the room to find a potential concealment. We're in an old bedroom, how hard could it be? The wardrobe is too obvious, that's the first thing the Cranks will think about when they see me missing. I don't fit in the nightstand, so the only option is the drawer under the bed. It'll be full of spiders and cobwebs, but it's better than death. I wouldn't say the same thing if I had arachnophobia, so thank god insects fascinate me.

I open the drawer and look inside. A bitter and musty smell invades my nostrils. I will definitely not breathe with my mouth, I don't want to taste it too. "Someone will need to close this." I signal to the boys after I get inside. Thomas pushes the drawer and the last line of light disappears, leaving me in complete darkness. Trying to touch the moldy wood as less as possible, I put my hands over my thighs. I feel the belt from my pistol support and realize they forgot to take our weapons. My hopes lower when I can't grab the grip of the gun. Of course the Cranks took them, they're not that stupid. They had no chance to see the knife in my boot, though. I twist my leg as much as the closed space allows me and try to reach my ankle with my fingers to pull it closer. Why was I so stupid to put it on the injured leg? No matter how much I tried, I couldn't take it.