Chapter 20

I slept in the back seat. Even though I was very tired from all the things that happened, I didn't have a peaceful night. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw Thomas dying. As it goes, it becomes worse, most of the time ending with me killing him. The worst part is that I was waking up crying and had to muffle myself so Isaac won't hear me. I wish I could just end it already, but I'd waste Thomas' sacrifice. I have to live for two, he's part of me now.

The next day followed the same pattern. We'd wake up, drive and go back to sleep. Food isn't a problem, we can survive without it more and it can be found in the forest. Generally talking, because here isn't any forest, just the plain field and the highway. What I'm concerned about is the water. We already know it's not potable in Denver, Isaac proved that. If we don't get out of here soon, we'll die of thirst. 

I begin to see Dallas in the distance. Isaac chose this city because it's not as populated as Oklahoma or Kansas, even though that means we take a detour. I don't like having to meet other Cranks again, but we really need some supplies, I haven't drunk water in two days and I don't know how much will it take until my organism collapses. 

"You should wait in the car." Isaac breaks the silence. "They don't like Munies."

"The last events made it clear. What will you give them in exchange?"

"I came prepared, I know what these guys want." he sees that I have no idea what he's talking about, so he continues. "I think you noticed that we like to do drugs. It's because they calm our nervous system and slow down the Flare. Drugs can be easily done with plants, but it's harder to find syringes." Isaac stops and takes a backpack from the backseat. " And I have like two dozens of them."

"Well, what else do I have to say than good luck with your transaction." I stop him when he wants to get out of the car. "One more thing. If you don't get that water, don't bother coming back." Isaac chuckles, but my expression doesn't change. "I'm serious. At this point, I could sell you for a bottle."

"Thanks for the motivation." Isaac says and leaves, taking the backpack with him.

I lock my door, some Cranks are already looking at me like I'm suspicious of being a Munie. I don't know how can they tell whether I'm immune or not. I play with my fingers so they won't think I'm staring at them, even though I can feel their gaze penetrating me. 

A little girl stays on a bench, right next to where Isaac parked the car. Her dark skin, black eyes and curly hair remind me of Rue from The Hunger Games. I wave, so she knows I'm not a threat and receive a smile in return. I wish I could get out and talk to her properly, but it's safer in the car, so I just lower the window. "What's your name?" I ask her.

"Thea." she has an angelic voice. That kind of voice who can cheer up your day, no matter how bad you feel. "You?"

"Tessa. Did you know Thea is the goddess of light? It suits you, you have a smile that brightens other people's days."

"Teresa has Greek origins too. I think it means 'harvesting'."

"You like Greek mythology?"

"I like all mythologies. Egyptian, Roman, Greek, Persian, Celtic and many others, but they're not so popular. I have no one to talk to about them, though. I'm afraid some day I'll forget everything."

"You don't have to give up. It took me 14 years to do what I've always wanted. I'm a good listener, you can tell me about beliefs."

And I kept my promise. I listened to Thea's stories until Isaac came back. I feel like I could look at her all day while she's trying to explain her theories. Life isn't fair. A girl like Thea shouldn't suffer so much because some scientists couldn't quench a virus.