Chapter 8

The base looks like it was abandoned a long time ago, I doubt there are any Cranks left. The closer we got, the faster my heart was beating. Even without cannibals, this place is scary. It looks haunted. Trying not to show any hesitation, I continue to walk in front of my friends, not slowing down when I felt my limbs turn into jelly. My senses are tingling and my subconscious knows this is not a good idea.

Right before I was about to open the door, Isaac noticed my hesitation and intervened. "You don't have to do it if you don't want to."

His words piqued me to push the handle and pull the door. "Nice try." I jeered. I won't let him make me look weak. I get in first with my spear up, just in case. The room is empty or, at least, it seems to be. Thomas fumbles along the walls trying to find a switch. His hands finally came across one and he turned the lights on, the incandescent white LEDs blinding me for a second. However, it was long enough for a Crank to jump over me. Accidentally, he thrusted right in my spear, almost breaking it with his weight. "That was easy." I lift my eyebrows relieved.

The moment of relaxation didn't last long. More Cranks tried to attack us, most of them weren't humans anymore. Their eyes had an animalistic look and craved nothing but fresh meat. Luckily, they didn't had a technique to fight, they just threw their claws and fangs at us, trying to cleave our flesh. We trained a lot in the past days, so it was easy for us to kill them.

I handled the Cranks that came to me, thing that I can't say about Isaac. He seemed to struggle keeping hem away. My vision was partly focused on him, making sure nothing bad happens. Another Crank was about to attack me when I saw Isaac at bay. He has dropped his knife and his arms were full of deep cuts. Without thinking twice, I slide away from my Crank, the one second I was defenseless giving him the perfect opportunity to sink his claws deep in my trapezoidal muscle. The sharp pain didn't stop me from stabbing the Crank that has been terrorizing Isaac in the back, the blood soaked spear coming out through his ribs.

"Thank you, Tessie." Isaac says and stands up from the floor, pulling me into a hug.

I was surprised at first, but didn't take long to reply, my good hand rubbing small circles on his back and pushing him away after 2 seconds. "I owed you one, anyway. And don't call me that."

Thomas and Minzy finish with their Cranks and come to us. "Is any of you hurt?" Minzy asks as she sits on the cold ground. Everyone has scratches on their arms and legs, but none of us is actually hurt.

Well, maybe except me. "I think I have something." I say and turn around so Minzy can see what she can do. If I'm lucky, it won't get infected.

"Why is it always you?" Thomas asks me without actually wanting an answer. He starts wiping the blood off his arms to see if one of them is deeper. "I'll go see if these guys had some med-kits before going insane. Hey, Isaac, wanna come with me?" it sounded more like an invitation he wasn't allowed to decline.

They go to search for supplies, leaving me and Minzy alone. I didn't mind it, though. In order to clean my wound I have to take off my shirt. "How did you even get this? You're the best at fight from all of us." 

"I went to help Isaac and forgot to take cover." a bright smile appears on her face. "Oh god, not you too." I cry out annoyed. "There's nothing between me and Isaac, ok? He's 3 years older and I've known him for like 2 weeks. I saved Thomas like a thousand times throughout his life, does that make us a couple?"

"No, it's gross."

"Exactly. Now apply the same logic for Isaac."

"But Isaac isn't 18 years older than you."