Convalescence

Here we go with the 7th chapter, there's a gap of 6 MONTHS between this and the last one. Have fun reading!

——————————————————————————————————————————

10:30 am.

Agasa residence's main door got opened by the professor, who stepped into his house. After him, two adults in the bodies of two 14-years-old, both supported by a pair of crutches, a leg brace was around their right leg, and a pout printed on their faces, such a comic view. They limped inside the house, almost in sync.

Ai was quite used to this kind of pain, it wasn't the first time she was forced to move like that. On the other hand, in twenty-four years, Conan had never had to walk using crutches, so he was still lumbering. Small sounds of fatigue and pain escaped from his slightly-opened mouth every time he took a step, increasing Ai's irritability at the point that she couldn't stand it anymore.

Eyebrows furrowed, she shoot a death glare at her husband, who was beside her, "Could you please stop whining as if you were carrying a bag of a ton?!"

"You're the one to talk! Who is the person who has been complaining about 'the too-hard pillow' or 'the too-enlightened room' for the whole two weeks in the hospital?"

Agasa sighed as he acknowledged that the two shrunken adults were about to initiate the umpteenth quarrel of the last so-long-and-interminable two weeks. They both had been hospitalized for a broken leg, caused by an 'incident' that had occurred after solving a case. Someway, Conan and Ai ended up jumping from the third floor of a burning townhouse. Luckily for them, Conan had his anywhere ball dispensing belt with him, which he used to break the fall. Although they didn't die or report serious injuries, the impact was still strong, enough to cause them a leg fracture.

"Oh well sorry if I didn't celebrate the stay in a hospital's room!"

"So don't snap my head off for these silly reasons! This condition is already distressing enough without your constant criticism."

"If you're not able to walk using crutches, I could always break your other leg too so you would use a wheelchair instead!"

"Okay timeout now, shouting at each other won't do any good," Agasa interrupted their loud argument, trying to restore some peace, "you both should take some rest instead of disputing continuously", he suggested.

Conan and Ai had to admit that the professor was right, although they were still glaring at each other, a fiery aura surrounding them.

Agasa sighed again, 'These two... they will never change', he thought before his attention was diverted to his phone which started ringing. He answered the call.

While the professor was talking at the phone, Ai and Conan slowly headed to the living room and settled themselves on the two edges of the couch. After they assumed a comfortable posture, Agasa came into the room, a worried look marrying his face.

"What's wrong, Hakase?" Ai asked even before the professor had the time to speak a word, her voice showed that she was already expecting to get some bad news.

Agasa laughed nervously and scratched the back of his head, "You see, guys... one of my clients has just told me that she had a problem with the new invention I sold to her, I should go there to fix it..."

Conan perceived that Agasa had something more to say, "And?"

"And... it may take several hours" the old scientist continued, beads of sweat dripping down his face. The thought of leaving the two invalids at home alone, both of them already in a terrible mood, concerned him.