Chapter 6

"I'LL see you at home, then," Asmeen said. She waved at them and began walking, making her way to Nara's house quickly. Nara wasn't out in the yard, so she walked up to the door and knocked.

Nyma opened it. Nara's older sister was tall and thin, and she was wearing the white scarf Asmeen had knitted for her around her neck. It did look good on her. She blinked on seeing Asmeen and grinned. "Hey, kid. Congratulations, by the way."

Asmeen grinned. "Thanks." She glanced behind Nyma, seeing Nara walking up.

"Who's your partner?" Nara asked, standing beside her sister.

"A boy called Aven Hilfen."

"Oh," Nyma said, her lips parting.

"You know him?" Nara asked, glancing at her.

Nyma nodded, beginning to smile. "He's my friend. He's the one we went to celebrate with yesterday, because he got in." She looked at Asmeen. "Don't worry about him. He's a good sort."

"Good to know," Asmeen said, tilting her head.

"Well, I've got to go. See you, you two," Nyma said. She raised a hand as she walked off, the scarf swinging from her neck.

"Come in," Nara said, holding the door open wide. "I'm cleaning the house. Even though Nyma's the one with the cleaning business."

Asmeen laughed and walked in, shutting the door behind herself. "I'll help"

"There's no need for that, dear!"

Asmeen glanced to the left, her eyes widening when she saw the white-haired woman perched on a chair. Nara's grandmother, Nana, as she was called by everyone in the neighborhood, smiled and beckoned at her.

Asmeen walked over and sat at her feet as Nara went back to wiping down her windows. "Hello, Nana."

"Asmeen, it's been too long. You should visit me more," Nana said, her eyes narrowing. "Every day you come and see Nara, or she sees you, but how often do you come to see me?"

Asmeen let out a laugh. "You're absolutely right. I'll come talk to you whenever I come here."

"You do that, dear," Nana said. She glanced down at the blanket covering her feet. "And did I ever tell you how much I like this. It's very warm."

Asmeen smiled, glancing at the floor. "Thank you, Nana."

"And I don't believe I've congratulated you yet!" Nana said, patting Asmeen's head. "Good for you, you've made it into the final round."

Asmeen nodded. "Everyone is so proud. Elyn and Wylla did as well."

"Ah, so your father must be happy as well." Nana sighed. "And your partner?"

"Aven Hilfen." Asmeen bit her lip. "He's Nyma's friend. She said he's 'a good one'."

"Hilfen." Nana leaned her head back, pursing her lips. "Yes, I remember the name. They live nearby, I believe."

"They do," Nara threw in, now wiping down the tables. "We've seen them around. He only has a father." She nodded. "I didn't recognize the name before, but I do now." She gave Asmeen a cheeky grin. "Handsome, isn't he?"

Asmeen rolled her eyes. "Yes, he is. I can admit that. But tell me more about him."

Nara twisted her lips together, dusting off the chairs. "Not much to say. He's more Nyma's friend, he's got a different group of friends. Isn't the type to cause trouble. I think he helps Nyma with her cleaning sometimes."

Asmeen nodded. "Well, he doesn't sound bad. He was pretty decent when I met him today. Still, I guess I'll really find out tomorrow."

"Oh, don't you worry," Nana said. "It'll all the work out. The leaders know what they're doing—who are they, now?"