Chapter 35

ASMEEN'S eyes flew to Elyn, and she heard Wylla gasp behind her. What was Elyn thinking?

Elyn let go of their father's hand slowly, her face hard. "I took it."

Without warning, his hand swung out and hit her. Elyn's face snapped to the side.

"Stop!" This time Asmeen and Wylla shouted in unison. Asmeen couldn't believe what was happening. Their father had never raised a hand to them. Shouted, yes, but hit them? Not once.

Elyn turned, looking at him again, showing no signs of fear despite what had just happened. "I took the locket because Asmeen deserves it. She doesn't have anything of her mother's. Hardly any memories. You have no right to keep it from her."

"It was to be her if she passed. She didn't. She has disappointed me," their father said, still glaring at Elyn.

Elyn, for once, glared right back. "And her mother would have been disappointed in you."

"Elyn!" Azol cried.

Elyn didn't back down. "From what I've heard, she was kind, and she loved Asmeen more than herself. She would never have approved of how you treat her."

"Watch your words," their father threatened. "You live under my roof. You will abide by my rules."

"Not any longer," Elyn said. She turned to them, meeting Asmeen's eyes.

What was she doing?

"Wylla and I have already had our twentieth. In a few hours, Asmeen will have. We have no obligation to stay with you any longer," she said, addressing their parents though she was facing Asmeen and Wylla.

"And where will you go?" Their father sneered.

"I have a place," Elyn said plainly. She looked at them meaningfully. "Will you come with me?"

Asmeen didn't have any idea what Elyn had planned, or what she was thinking, but she did know one thing. She trusted Elyn. So she nodded. Wylla did the same.

A hint of a smile appeared on Elyn's face. "I packed our things this morning. Let's go."

She walked upstairs, and they followed her. Once they reached their room, Asmeen looked around in awe. Gone were all their things—all the little trinkets, the clothes—there were only three boxes stacked in the corner, the rest of the room devoid of any hint they'd ever lived there.

Elyn grabbed one and gestured at them. Asmeen and Wylla grabbed one each. Asmeen looked at Wylla, who looked as lost as she was. Still, they followed Wylla.

Azol was waiting for them at the door.

"Girls," he said, his own serene mask breaking for once. "Girls, what are you doing? You can't—"

"Will you come with us?" Elyn asked, her lips pursing.

Azol's lips parted, but he didn't respond.

Elyn nodded, her eyes heavy. "Goodbye, then." She shouldered past him, down the stairs, and after a moment of hesitation, Asmeen followed.

She heard Wylla say, "Goodbye, Papa," before following them.

Their fathers made no further move to stop them as they walked out the door, each holding a large box in their hands.

Elyn kicked the door shut and they walked out into the street, which was now mostly empty. It would have been something of a scandal to see them leaving like this. Asmeen had no doubt the news would spread like a fire regardless.

When they rounded the corner, Elyn stopped in front of an empty cart. "We're here," she said.

A petite girl hopped down from the seat and grinned at them. "Made it out, then. Well done."

"Wylla, Asmeen," Elyn said. "This is Meri. I met her at the ball. She'll help take our things to our new house."

Meri grinned at them. "My sister just became a Child of the Night."

"Congratulations," Wylla said. Asmeen wasn't sure how she'd managed it. She couldn't even make sense of her own thoughts, everything was happening so fast.

Meri helped them load the boxes on the cart and then helped them up. She finally took her seat at the front and flicked the reins, setting her horses trotting forward.

"What's going on, El?" Wylla finally asked as the cart began moving.

Elyn sighed. "I've been planning this for a long time. It's why I worked so much. It was highly unlikely that all three of us would make it, and they'd be mad. I—honestly, I didn't want to stay there any longer."

"So you bought us a house?" Wylla asked.

Elyn shot her an exasperated look. "I didn't earn that much. We're renting a small cottage. I'll be earning a bit with the Flower Children, enough to keep us afloat if the two of you maybe get some work."

"The Flower Children," Asmeen said, realizing. "Aren't you supposed to live with them?"

Elyn shrugged. "I just have to be nearby. The place I got is pretty close. It's close to where the Children of the Night stay, too." She looked at Asmeen meaningfully as she said this.

"What?" Wylla asked, looking between the two of them. Then her eyes widened, and her gaze darted to Asmeen. "You lost on purpose."

Asmeen looked away, at the streets that rolled by. "I did."

"Why?" Wylla asked.

She swallowed. "Aven told me, last night, that he didn't think I actually wanted to be a Flower Child. I thought over it too. I was really just doing it for father. My interests lie elsewhere." She looked at Elyn. "I think my sewing will be more than enough to keep us afloat."

While Wylla's face broke out into a full grin, Elyn's smile was slow, and small. But it was there.

"What did Dara tell you after we left?" Wylla asked Elyn, changing the topic.

They talked like that until the carriage stopped, and Meri announced, "We're here."

The cottage in sight was small, even smaller than Nara's, but it looked cozy. There was a small, dying garden in the front that Wylla would no doubt revive, and a stone bench under the shade of a withering tree.

Elyn gave them a wry smile. "Welcome home."

We made it! 50K words! Just an extra epilogueish chapter next!

See you next chapter!