Chapter 36

ASMEEN'S twentieth had arrived.

She was finally an adult, and she felt it. They certainly couldn't let Elyn bear the expenses for their living alone, so she was going to have to start accepting all the offers she'd received. With spring about to begin, she had no doubt that there would be great demand for gowns.

She'd woken early in the morning, accepted her sisters' well-wishes, and gone to the Flower Children's group house along with Elyn. Elyn had gone in and got Aira for her. She'd accepted Aira's offer. She was going to make Spring Solstice clothes for the Flower Children. It would be hard, but Asmeen found that she didn't mind.

When she went home, there was a small crowd waiting for her. Apparently Wylla had invited them all over, as a celebration for their twentieth. Nyma was there, some of her friends and Wylla's friends that Asmeen knew and was friendly with. And Nara.

Nara immediately walked up to her, throwing her hands around Asmeen and squeezing tightly. "I'm so proud of you," she whispered.

Asmeen smiled back when Nara let go. "So am I."

And it was true. She was doing what she wanted, she was with her sisters, and her friends. What more could she want?

"Asmeen," Elyn said, tapping her shoulder.

Nara let her go, disappearing back into the crowd, and Asmeen turned to Elyn. "Yes?"

Elyn held out a fist, her fingers opening to reveal a thin, gold chain with a heart-shaped pendant on it.

"Is that—"

"Your mother's locket," Elyn answered. "Can I put it on?" Asmeen nodded, letting Elyn walk around her and brush aside her hair. Elyn clasped the locket around her neck and walked back to face her.

Asmeen touched her fingers to the pendant gently, gazing at it in awe. This had been her mother's. And now it was hers. The weight of it, around her neck, felt right.

"And I want to apologize."

Asmeen looked up at Elyn in surprise. "What for?"

Elyn's face was closed-off again. "For—well, for the past few years. I never spoke up when father got angry at you, and I should have. As your older sister. I hope to make up for that now."

Asmeen took her hands gently. "Trust me, Elyn, you've done more than enough. You're the best older sister I could ever ask for."

Elyn's features relaxed, and then her eyes darted past Asmeen. She gestured with her chin. "There's someone waiting for you."

Asmeen turned around.

Aven was standing there, his hands in his pockets somewhat awkwardly. He caught her eyes.

Asmeen walked forward until she was right in front of him. "Let's go somewhere private."

Aven nodded and followed her to the back of the house. No one else was there. Only the wall, the grass, and them.

Asmeen turned to face him, swallowing.

"You let me win," Aven said without preamble.

Asmeen nodded, meeting his eyes. "I did."

"Why?"

"I thought over what you said. You were right," she admitted. "I don't want to be a Flower Child. I never did. I'm going to sew. I've accepted Aira's offer."

A slow smile spread over his face, the first time he'd smiled at her in days, and Asmeen felt some part of her relax.

"Thank you," he said. "And I know you'll succeed."

Asmeen nodded. "Thank you. And congratulations."

Aven's cheeks began reddening, and his smile turned a bit awkward. Then he began bending down. He met her eyes, and Asmeen nodded.

He turned his face and kissed her cheek lightly, softly, so chaste it could hardly be called a kiss. Then he straightened, his face decidedly more flushed.

"Since when?" Asmeen said, managing to get the words out.

He gave her an embarrassed smile. "The ball."

Asmeen let the words wash over her, let them sink in. Then she smiled back at him and grabbed his hand, entwining his fingers with her own. "Let's go back."

Aven grinned, his fingers turning steadier, tighter and they walked back around the house, coming in sight of the rest of her friends.

When they were spotted, the crowd burst into cheers. Someone had even started whistling. A glance showed that it was Wylla. Nara was grinning, giving her a thumbs-up, and Elyn looked insufferably smug.

Asmeen rolled her eyes, still holding Aven's hand as she walked back up to them, smiling as Nara brought out a cake she'd baked.

As she cut the cake, and Asmeen looked around, she knew. Here, with her sisters, Nara, Aven, the rest of her friends and her mother's locket around her neck, she was happy. And that was all she needed.

 And that was all she needed