Chapter 16

TWO days later, Saira and Suri left, with Suri under strict orders to rest her ankle. It was healing much better than initially expected, which was good for them. Asmeen and Aven both were getting better quickly. Asmeen suspected that Aven had delayed his going by a day to keep her company, because he had seemed fine the day before. But then he'd claimed a headache, so they kept him in the infirmary.

Still, the next day, they were both allowed to leave, and it was with great relief that Asmeen left in the evening, accompanied by her sisters.

For the first time in days, she was walking outside. Elyn said she was being too dramatic—it's not like you've been imprisoned—but Asmeen argued that it felt very much like it. And Wylla took her side, so Elyn gave up.

She stood outside their large house, looking up at it for a moment. "How's Papa?" She asked.

Wylla made a face. "Still sick. We suggest you stay away from him, or you might get sick again."

"He thinks he'll get better in a few more days," Elyn said. "But apparently he was out when it rained again yesterday."

Wylla rolled her eyes. "So now he's sick again."

"Why was he outside?" Asmeen asked, her brows furrowed.

Elyn let out a long-suffering sigh. "I wish we knew."

In spite of herself, Asmeen smiled, and Elyn unlocked the door with the key she'd had the foresight to bring. Asmeen walked to their parents' room, just to see Azol once.

He was lying on the bed in one of his silk robes, looking as put-together as ever. Only his hair was slightly mussed from laying down all day. His eyes opened, probably because they were making noise.

"Asmeen!" He said, lifting his head a bit. "How are you?"

"Better, I think," Asmeen said. "How are you feeling?"

He dropped his head again. "I hope I'll get better soon. You shouldn't be in here, though. You might get sick again."

"Right," Asmeen said, nodding. "Get better soon."

Wylla accompanied her up the stairs, while Elyn stayed with her father. Asmeen was glad to change into some fresh clothes—her own clothes—and lay down on their bed.

"I've missed you two," she admitted. Azol had married her father hardly five years ago, and even though it had only been a marriage of convenience then, Elyn and Wylla were like blood sisters to her now. She'd quickly grown used to them around. Now it seemed strange to not be with them.

"We missed you too," Wylla said, smiling. "Elyn wouldn't admit it, but when I woke her up with my snores, she had no one to complain with."

Asmeen laughed. "It was strange not fighting you for a blanket."

Wylla nodded, grinning. "That was, perhaps, the best part of all this. I'm glad you're here now. The house felt empty without you."

"Also, we had to do more chores."

Asmeen and Wylla looked up to see Elyn leaning on the wall near the door. But there was a hint of a smile playing on her lips, so Asmeen took that to mean that everything was just fine.

"Of course you did," Asmeen said, playing along. "I'm very sorry about that. I'll get right to doing my work again."

"You'd better," Elyn said, her face happier than it had been in days. Which, for Elyn, was not much. But still significant.

"How's Papa?" Wylla asked.

Elyn shrugged into a new dress. "Laying down. He's mostly bored, I think, without father here."

"When's he coming back?" Asmeen asked.

"Day after tomorrow," Wylla answered. "It'll be a relief when he comes."

"By the way," Elyn said, glancing at Wylla, "We noticed that you've finished Alda's scarf. So you're going to get paid now?"

Asmeen nodded. "Aven's bringing the money tomorrow. And—guess what?" She didn't wait for them to guess. "The girls in the infirmary with us are paying me for another scarf."

"That's wonderful!" Wylla said, her face lighting up.

"You could set up a business like this," Elyn said. Asmeen got the feeling that she wasn't joking.

"Sure," she said, dismissing the comment. "I'll have to get started on that. And how's training been?"

Wylla groaned immediately and flopped down on the bed, flinging an arm over her eyes.

"You'll find out tomorrow," Elyn said matter-of-factly.

"I'm scared to go back," Asmeen confessed. "It's only been a few days, but it seems like It's been so long."

"It was so scary," Wylla said suddenly, moving her hand from her eyes and looking straight at Asmeen. "Osoric told us to run, so we did, and when we looked back the cauldron exploded, and you were right there."

Asmeen bit her lip. "To be honest, the rain hurt me worse than the blast did." She grinned weakly.

Her attempt at humor wasn't taken well. "It was serious," Elyn said, her face somber. "If you hadn't moved so fast, you could have been really hurt. Like that one girl, the twin."

"Suri?" Asmeen said. "She's fine. She barely sprained her ankle."

"That's not the point," Wylla said. "I think Dara and Osoric were pretty shaken, too. They've been much more careful nowadays, especially when we make potions. They always keep healing potions around. Last time we did a potion, there was even a healer there."

"Nothing happened, but it's like that," Elyn added. "Even all the trainees are careful."

Asmeen nodded. She'd been in the infirmary, so she hadn't really thought about what it would be like for the other trainees. Especially since they'd have to make some pretty dangerous potions as time progressed.

"We were supposed to have a strength challenge, but it got postponed because you all were injured, and Dara and Osoric wanted to wait until you were fully healed."

"At least that's what we heard," Elyn threw in.

Asmeen grimaced. "They might have to wait a while longer, then. Suri's ankle is still hurt, even though she keeps trying to say she's fine." Then she looked up at the twins. "Have you two eaten yet?"

They looked taken aback by the abrupt change of subject. Finally, Wylla answered. "No, we haven't."

Asmeen pursed her lips. "Go eat, then!"

Wylla finally smiled, standing up heavily. "Yes, Asmeen. Try and sleep. We'll be quiet when we come back up."

Asmeen nodded at her. When they left, she laid down, and grabbed their blanket. This was the only time she thought she might miss the quiet, peaceful infirmary.

Well, now she'd have to fight for the blanket and be woken up by Wylla's snores. How fortunate.

Yay, she's back home! How was this chapter? I really do enjoy writing the sisters, they're my favorite relationship (I think it's easy to tell that, lol)

See you next chapter!