Chapter 5: Visitations

The driver was also a white male and had short hair with a clean shaven face. I sat in the back waiting for someone to say something for a couple of minutes.

I decided to break the silence and calmly asked, "What is this about?"

The passenger asked without looking at me, "How long have you been associated with Pete Saleri?"

The name hadn't rung a bell to me but I automatically assumed he was talking about the man I'd been working for. Seeing as I just left his house and they pulled up right behind me after I did; it only made sense. I thought about lying to them but it wouldn't be a lie since I didn't know what was up in the first place.

I puzzlingly asked, "Who?"

He repeated himself more firmly, "Peter Saleri."

I replied, "I don't know anyone named Peter Saleri."

The driver looked at me through the rear-view mirror and the passenger turned around then said more forcefully, "Look we can have this conversation here or down at the station if you keep fuckin' with me. You just left his house."

Threatening to take me in before they even figured out who I was meant that they obviously weren't messing around. They must know that I suck at this. I had no bold nerves left to use on them so I played it normal with hidden fear.

I answered cautiously, "I'd say it's been about two weeks, going on three."

The passenger quickly asked, "So now you know who were talking about?"

"The man never told me his name."

He sarcastically asked, "You work for the man and you don't even know his name?"

"He wouldn't tell me his name. All I do is his accounting. I don't need to know anything about the guy's personal life. I show up, help him with investments and go home. That's all."

He faced forward and repeated my words, "That's all?"

"Yes. I'm positive."

Without looking back, the driver asked, "Since when do accountants make investments?"

His voice was a little friendlier than his partners. The passenger quickly looked back at me angrily to await my reply. It seemed like telling the truth got me into more trouble under their suspicion radar.

I quickly explained, "Okay it sounds bad but let me explain. He contacted me online thinking that an accountant was a stock broker. I desperately needed the job and money so I told him that's what I do."

The passenger asked, "So you lied to him?"

I answered, "No I just told him I could do what he wanted."

The driver asked, "How much does he pay you?"

I quickly answered, "One thousand a week."

The cops looked at each other and my eyes shifted at both of them while I nervously waited for the passenger's forceful response. He seemed to be the one in charge so naturally he was the one I was more afraid of.

The passenger pointed his right hand over his shoulder, back at me, and threatened, "I suggest you stay away from him, if you know what's good for you."

The driver pulled over and said, "This is your stop."

I looked out of the window to my right and noticed we were in front of my apartment.

I asked, "How do you know where I live?"

The passenger answered, "We've been following you for a while. Get out of the car... and stay out, if you catch my drift."