Chapter 7: Newer Work

I walked into the house and sat down on the couch then buried my head in my hands. The only thing I had to be happy about was that I was still drawing breath. Working for nothing wasn't at all to my liking but it did beat the alternative out of the water. I got back up then started pacing around the living room. It sank in that I just survived something that tough guy Pete didn't. I was freaking out internally until Sam came out of the bedroom.

When Sam walked in, I uncontrollably shouted, "Baby he's dead!"

She quickly hushed me up, "Shhh." She then whispered to me, "What are you talking about?"

I whispered back, "The guy I was working for, Pete, I went by there to quit and it turns out that Saleri guy stole the money I've been investing from his boss and now he's dead so I have to work for him for free or he'll kill me and everyone around me."

She put one hand over her forehead and the other on her hip then disappointedly said, "Oh no." She started walking around the room then demanded, "Well we have to leave."

I answered, "We can't. He has my I.D. and I'm pretty sure that wherever we go, he can find us."

She stopped walking and stared at me with worry. The coincidence of their appearance hit me right then. He said that he dropped everything in after I left yesterday. Oddly enough, after who knows how long Pete had the money, they showed up the next day after the big drop.

I continued explaining to her, "He found Pete with no problem. Pete dropped in every penny he had into a stock and this guy just happened to show up. It's like he was watching all along."

She said, "It's okay, let's just sit down and figure this out."

We both sat down on the couch and she asked, "Are you okay?"

I quickly replied, "Of course not. I just witnessed a murder. They almost killed me too."

She threw her hands over my shoulders and said in a low soft tone, "Hey you're still here. They let you go. Be glad for that because I definitely am."

I tilted my head onto the top of hers then asked, "Have you been through this before or something? I don't like your optimism."

She replied, "Panicking won't get us anywhere. We'll just act and mess up. I'm a nurse so believe me I know what I'm talking about."

That made sense. Helping out in emergency rooms a lot could make somebody think a lot more responsibly under pressure. My life was in her hands and she saved lives everyday so I figured she could save mine too.

She continued, "Now think... there are witness protection programs."

"We can't. I won't be able to put my and your entire family in the witness protection. Government doesn't care that much."

I got up and started walking away then she suggested, "What about those two detectives?" I stopped walking and she continued, "They can probably help you. They seemed to be interested in that Pete guy."

I had forgotten all about the detectives that picked me up the night before. They knew who I was and I still had their card so giving them a call was actually a great idea. I was certain they knew all about Pete and what he did. Also, I witnessed the murder that can help them apprehend the boss.

I looked up then shouted, "Yes that's right!" I ran to her and kissed her on her forehead then continued, "You're right baby you are so smart! I'll call them right now."

I ran into the room and got their card off of my desk then dialed them up on my cell phone. The name on the card was for Detective Willis. I assumed that's who was going to answer the phone.