3

Distance

Naglalakad na kami papunta sa garden, nakasunod kay Tita. No one was talking and the silence around us is deafening. I focused my gaze back to the living room downstairs while we are walking on the staircase. I caress the necklace that is now on me, softly brushing on my skin.

"You like it?" i heard him asked, my eyes widened as i turn to his side and caught him watching my every move.

"Yeah.." i shyly answered, i stopped touching the chains on my neck and immediately looked away from his gaze. Ilang minuto pa iyong katahimikan at ang ingay lang galing sa garden ang naririnig namin habang naglalakad.

"Happy birthday." his calm and deep voice gave me chills when he suddenly greeted. I can feel his gaze on me but i didn't lifted my eyes back at him.

"Thank you." i sighed and continued to walk down the stairs.

"Happy birthday, sweetie." with her misty eyes, she wrapped menin her arms once again. My mom immediately came to me when she saw me in the living room, she hold my hand and guided me to our garden. Lincoln is still trailing behind us as we continued to walk.

"Happy birthday!" i laughed when i saw my family surprised me with some party popper and greeted in unison as soon as i entered the garden!

"Thank you!" i chuckled and laugh as i came closer to them for a hugged. I heard them whispering wishes on my ears when they wrapped me in their arms. Vale's mom hugged me tight! She's always been my number supporter. She loves me since day one because i am the only girl in the family. She always wanted to have a daughter but it never happened.
They sang a happy birthday song to me!

"I am too old for this!" i joked. Thank goodness! Walang party hat! Maniniwala na ako na children's party 'tong nangyayari sa bahay. I am showered with so much love from my family and i am very grateful for that.

"Okay! Let's eat?" Dad exclaimed.

Nagsimula na kaming kumain. Mom prepared a long wooden table in the garden. We seated and dine there. There are series lights around the trees, the sea is visible enough because of the moon beaming and reflecting on the ocean. The fresh air of the island calmed the storms inside my head. I smiled tightly when i saw Vale walking towards our table!

"Asshole! I thought you already forgot about me?!" i punched his arms when he hugged me tight. I heard him chuckled and greeted our parents that are seated beside me.

"Good evening po, Tita." He smiled and hugged them too.
"Mom." he continued. Lumapit siya sa kinauupuan ko.

"Your gift?" i joked, I saw him roll his eyes and walked towards the vacant seat.

"I'd better find you a boyfriend for you to stop annoying the hell out of me." he chuckled and ruffled my hair!
"Asshole!" I roll my eyes at him and pinch his arms. He groaned when i left a mark on his arms.

"Lincoln." he greeted, napawi iyong tawa ko nang napansin na magakatabi silang dalawa. Hindi ko nakita na dito pala nakaupo si Lincoln.

"Dude! Stay away from this spoiled brat. It will be your greatest downfall! I am telling you." Vale laughed and make fun of me! I heard them chuckled!

"Shut up, Vale!" i roll my eyes at my cousin. Agad na akong umalis at bumalik sa upuan ko. Abala naman sila sa pag-uusap. I even saw them laughing! Matagal na pala silang magkaibigan?

Matapos ang kasiyahan at pakikipag-usap sa labas ay bumalik na ako sa loob para magpahinga saglit. Wala masyadong tao at halos lahat ay nagtipon sa garden. Kumuha ako ng tubig sa kusina at agad na bumalik sa living room para umupo.