Begin again

Jessie stood outside the doors of Seattle Grace hospital wearing the classic ceil scrubs under a white lab coat along with a pair of black stilettos, she was, of course, going to change her shoes before rounds but she always wore heels when she needed to feel more confident, Addison had taught her that, well maybe not intentionally but she definitely took after her mother and thinking about it made her emotional, she couldn't believe she was actually doing this.

She already discussed everything with Richard  to make sure nobody would call her by her real last name until Derek and Addison knew. She heard the gossip here spread quicker than the flu in this and didn't want someone telling them before her.

Her hair was also also dyed dark brown, those two things were the best cover-up anyone In her situation could come up with, it's not like you can enter a hospital looking like some sort of international super spy.

She went to Richard's office for her badge which read

"Jessica Hyland M.D. First year surgical intern, Seattle Grace Hospital. 

There was no turning back now.

                                ***

"Dr. Hyland, you'll be on Dr. Altman's service today," Bailey told her.

"Sup." Alex looked over, flashing her his classic crooked smile.

"Um, hi."

"What's up with the random new intern this time of year?" Cristina whispered to Meredith."

She shrugged in response. "No idea, let's just hope she's not too annoying."

"Enough with the chit chat! You people have work to do."

"Dr. Hyland nice to meet you," Dr. Altman said politely.

"You too, I'm happy to be here."

"I've heard you want to be a Cardio Surgeon is that right?"

"Yes it is Doctor and I hear you're the best, I'm honored to have the opportunity to learn from you on my first day."

"What a kiss-up." Cristina fake coughed.

"Well it's a very tough specialty, hopefully, you have what it takes."

"I definitely do! one of the doctors I was working with on my clerkship told me I'd be a world-class heart surgeon one day." The guy behind her said excitedly.

"Ok well anyway, this first patient is a kid so whoever is not good with kids suck it up like you probably had to when you babysat as a teenager, and you cannot talk to them like you would an adult! Pediatrics are a completely different breed of people that require a very different approach, got it?"

They all nodded before she led them to the patient's room.

"Jamie Russa, 6 years old, hospitalized with chest flutters and extreme sweating along with a weird rash. Turns out he has a rare form of Ventricular Tachycardia that usually only affects people with high cholesterol, all medications have failed and he's scheduled to get a pacemaker today. Can anyone name the possible causes of ventricular arrhythmias in young children?"

Jessie raised her hand but was interrupted by the same nerdy looking dude.

"Um, sickle cell anemia I think?"

"If you're going to say that like a question I wouldn't raise my hand if I were you, Dr Hyland?"

"If the child had undetected PVCs at a younger age, pre-existing risk factors such as family history of high levels of Carnitine in the blood, metabolic abnormalities, and certain nervous system disorders."