Chapter 6

After what felt like an eternity, the sky turned from blue to a brilliant red, and Sam decided they would set up camp for the night. He pulled the wagon off the road and into an abandoned field.

Sabin flew up into a tree and fluffed his feathers. Sam set up a makeshift tent. Anya slept inside while Sam slept in the back of his wagon with a blanket pulled over him.

Anya was miserable. The ground was hard and she was cold. She got very little sleep.

The sun, ignoring Anya's difficult night, rose without pity early in the morning. Anya dragged her aching body out of the tent and pulled it down and folded it up. Sam was already awake and busy going about business. He had cooked some dried meat and potatoes together for breakfast and Anya was quick to eat.

All too soon they were on the road. Anya would at last see Wildwood estate that evening and she would have to begin putting her schemes into action.

Most of the herbs and potions that she had brought could be passed off as herbal supplies for potentially caring for Lady Waldwick's appearance. The few that could be considered harmful she would have to be careful to hide.

She hoped that she could have a room to herself, but she had no idea how things would work out. She would be nothing more than one insignificant servant in a huge castle.

There were so many questions and blind spots ahead that Anya could barely bear it.

* * * * *

The ride was as tedious and long as the day before. Theresa slid back into apathy as time went by. It was not until Sam spoke that she came out of her stupor.

"We'll be there within the hour," he told her.

Anya felt her heart jump into her throat. She could not help but imagine that they would take one look at her and know immediately what a fraud she was. What would happen to her siblings if she did not even manage to get in the door?

Anya's mind whirled through different troubling scenarios, for the rest of the trip. Finally the tall towers of Wildwood came into view over the trees.

"It's so big," she breathed. She was so small. How on earth would she ever manage to reach the lord of such a place, let alone manage to commit the terrible crime as she had to do?

"I'll take you up to the front," Sam said. "You'd better send your bird away."

"Of course," she agreed. She turned and looked a Sabin riding on the back of the cart. "Sabin, come here, darling," she said to the bird.

Sabin hopped over and landed on her shoulder.

"I'm afraid that I can't keep you with me. They'll know that I am a witch if I have you along. So you'll need to stay out in the forest around this big castle. I'll come out and visit you once I think of an excuse."

Sabin regarded her with his intelligent eyes. Anya scratched his back gently. He flew away.

Anya felt desolate. Her last precious one was gone. She was utterly alone.

"Let's go," she told Sam, squaring her shoulders. The sooner she did what was necessary the sooner she would be back with her family.

* * * * *

The wagon ambled up the drive. Anya's eyes searched the large yard. There was a large expanse of short grass up to the edge of the forest which surrounded the estate. There was a barn and a stable off to the side, and there were large, imposing doors drawing ever nearer to her.