Chapter 41

The tower was completely desolate.  She felt disappointment fill her.  She should have known. He would never give her the twins so easily.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

Anya would not give him the pleasure of admitting the disappointment of her foolish hopes.  "Nothing.  I had just hoped to have somewhere comfortable to sit."  The bottom room was completely empty.

"Come, we'll go up," Thorne said, as he mounted a staircase.

"Is it safe?" Anya asked.  The wooden staircase looked as if it was about to crumble.  She followed anyway.  Sabin perched on her shoulder, his watchful eyes missing nothing.

When Anya reached the top she found Thorne standing and looking out a large opening in the tower.  It seemed that it had been a window at one time, but had collapsed into a larger space as time had passed by.  It was now large enough for an adult to fall out.  For a moment, Anya felt afraid that Thorne would cast her out.

But, he had hardly gone through such great difficulty to waste her life like that.  She just had to be patient and he would reveal what her next task was when he was ready.

Thorne turned to her.  She hated his face so much.  It was not an unusual face and his appearance was no more than that of an average man, but when Anya looked into his eyes, she felt like there was nothing there.   Her heart raced as it has when he had first approached her.

The eyes were watchful and aware, but there was no conscience operating behind them, just a cold drive to accomplish what he chose at whatever expense it took from other people.

Could anyone be truly that empty?

"You have been useful to me," he commented.

Anya did not answer.

"There is something about you.  I have never met a more useful woman."

Unluckily for her.  She continued to watch him.

"I had originally planned to let you die if it you were caught.  It would be a simple matter and you would have been silenced.  Oddly, though, I found myself reluctant to let you go so easily.  So I have devised a new plan."

Anya schooled her face to remain impassive, no matter how terrible his latest desire might be and no matter whom he set her to kill.  She would react with the greatest concern for her siblings she could muster, and she would agree, for them.  She would not allow Thorne to suspect anything else.  She wanted it finished.

"I've decided you'll be my wife."  He spoke as if he was completely unconcerned by the matter, as if he were commenting on the weather.

Anya's jaw dropped for a moment before she recovered and horror curled in the pit of her stomach. She had to have heard him wrong.  "What are you talking about?" she asked.

"I have decided that you will marry me."  Not a question.  An order.

"I'm just a peasant.  Surely there are great and wealthy beauties that you could find," she protested, all thoughts of agreeing meekly scattered from her mind.  She did not know exactly who he was, but it was clear from everything about him that he was of the noble class.  He was also mad.  She could not do it, but he had all the power so she had to convince him.  "I'm a wanted criminal."

He nodded.  "That is true.  But you will do well enough.  We will change your name and appearance and create a background which is worthy of my wife.  I feel that you will serve me far more than some useless beauty.  Have no need to marry for money.  When the king is disposed I will have enough power to obtain all that I desire."