Chapter 47

Author's Note

Sorry this is later than usual since a headache slowed me down. Thanks for reading!

* * * * *

For two weeks Anya prepared herself for what was to come. She would be leaving not only her home and family, but even her country to go to an untamed land she did not know.

It was terrifying, but still so much better than the fates that she had envisioned that she could hardly complain.

Anya had settled the few things she had to do. She had collected a few belongings and all the letters from the twins packed in a bag. She had a few coins from her old life, although she did not know if they would even help in the new land. She had sent letters to the twins, explaining everything.

The guards brought Anya to the ship early. She knew that they would be glad to return to their regular duties although she did not care. She was glad to be leaving.

She heard the guards speak at once. "Sir!"

She turned and saw the warden descending upon her position. She swallowed hard and tried not to look nervous at his intimidating presence.

"Good day," she said, wondering what he wanted from her.

"One final task," he said, and he moved closer. He did something to the inhibitor around her neck and removed it from her.

All Anya's magic rushed back to her at once painfully. She was completely disoriented after such long deprivation.

She stepped back to get her balance. She saw both of her guards look uneasily at each other.

She supposed now, at least, they had some small reason to fear her, although she never intended to harm anyone again.

"Thank you," she said.

"Anya!!!" came a cry she could scarcely believe.

"Kallie! Damani!"

The twins ran down the pier towards her. Anya thought she might cry as bittersweet feelings washing over her.

Damani threw himself at Anya without even a trace of his usual attempt at appearing grown up. Anya smiled.

"I sometimes worried that I would never see you again!" Kallie cried as she threw herself at Anya a second later.

Anya hugged both of her siblings, savoring the fact that they were real, they were solid, they were safe.

And they were taller than ever. Damani was more wiry and gawky, but still as full of energy as ever. Kallie's face had lost more of its childish chubbiness. How much they had changed. How much they would change.

Anya did not want to let them go. "The king said that perhaps you might come later. But for now it is best for you to stay where you are safe, at Wildwood. First I shall have to figure out the wild continent and work to establish some roots."

"But I want to go with you now. It's going to be dangerous, isn't it?" Damani asked suspiciously.

"I have no idea," Anya said honestly. "But now that my magic is back within my grasp, I shall be fine as well you know. In the meantime, I expect you both to learn everything that you can so you are always prepared."

Damani scowled and nodded resentfully. Kallie hugged her harder.

She had missed them so.

"We have a surprise for you," Kallie said with a little smile.