Chapter 42

Author's Note:

Guess who fell asleep really early instead of doing her regularly scheduled update last night?

Whoops!

Thanks for reading! <3

* * * * *

Anya spotted the tower nestled among the trees even before Sabin started to descend.  "Is this it?" she called loudly.

Sabin cawed back to her.  She followed him down through the trees.

Thorne appeared from the trees.  He appeared surprised to see her before his face took on a smug expression.  "You know, this is what I appreciate about you Anya.  You are so resourceful."

"Don't kill them, please Thorne," she asked with a lowered head.

Thorne ignored her plea.  "Do you know why all this has happened, Anya?"

Anya tried not to sound resentful.  "Because you forced me to try to kill Lord Wildwood."

Thorne smiled in his superior way.  "No, Anya.  This happened because the king is weak.  The king lacks the power to control the country.  His weak rule invites powerful lords to lend money at unfair rates, or others to take advantage of isolated orphans like yourself.  His weakness invites abuse."

"From people like you," Anya said, not managing to hide her bitterness.

Thorne smiled wickedly.  "The end will justify my means.  You simply don't understand my motives, Anya.  I want a new world order.  I want a strong king on the throne instead of the insipid fool that sits there now.  And I will have power under a better ruler."

"And what king would you replace him with?" Anya asked in a casual voice.  She wanted to distract him from the twins.

Thorne smiled mockingly.  "I do wish that I could trust you enough to tell you, but sadly you have already proven yourself a liar."

"I'm only what you made me," she said angrily.

Thorne laughed.  "You can believe that if you wish, but everything came from inside you.  You lied to me the first night we met, did you not?  This is who you are.  You even lie to yourself."

"No," Anya said in horror.  He could not be right.

Sabin let loose a shrieking caw and he flew straight towards Thorne's face.  There was a sickening slap of claws on flesh and Sabin flew into the air and towards the trees.

There were wide gashes across Thorne's cheek.  "Damn bird!" he growled, and he blasted magic at Sabin.

Anya did not have time to react.  "Sabin!" she cried as she watched her dear familiar fall into the trees like a stone dropped from a great height.

"Why?" she cried.  Pain flooded through her.  Poor devoted Sabin.  There was nothing that she could do for him now.  She had to think of the Damani and Kallie.

"Why not?  The creature attacked me, Anya.  That's what happens to creatures who betray my trust."

"Then don't hurt the twins!  They've done nothing to you.  Take your anger out on me if you have to," Anya begged.

"Nothing?  They're little rebels.  The new king would only take care of them if I do not.  That wretched boy watches me with quiet hatred, and the girl prays for my death.  They should be grateful they have lived so long as they have."  Thorne's voice was full of cold irritation.  He stepped closer to Anya.  She forced herself not to shrink backwards.  Could she beat him in a wizard's duel?  She was so new to using her powers in such a way, and her magic still felt weak from her imprisonment.