Chapter 18

Anya had a difficult time finding Missus White to pass on her message. Every time she went to where the tyrant had last been seen, she had already moved on to terrorize another group of hapless servants.

When Anya finally tracked her down, she rounded on Anya as if she had done something terribly wrong.

Anya could not help but feel it was deserved, so she let the overwhelmed woman vent her spleen on Anya patiently while not really even listening. What did Anya care what the crotchety old harangue thought about her?

In a life of problems, Missus White was barely a speck.

When Missus White finally stopped for a breath, Anya took her chance. "I was sent to inform you by Missus Allendale that Lord and Lady Wildwood received a set of expensive goblets from his and her majesty. They will need to be put in safekeeping later in the evening."

Missus White looked slightly mollified by Anya's explanation for the briefest moment before becoming flustered that she had reprimanded Anya for nothing. Her long nose pointed downwards and her cheeks flushed slightly as she gave Anya a look that surely would have been meant to kill her if it were possible.

Perhaps Thorne should have blackmailed Missus White instead.

Anya did not say anything else, but merely left the irritated housekeeper to stew in her own bile. Missus White would likely sniff out another hapless victim soon enough. Anya had done what she had said that she would do.

Anya made her way back to the kitchen, and found herself helping to carry the prepared dishes to where they waited to be served. She was glad to have something to do so that she would not have to think of what she had done.

Time fled swiftly with the flurry of activity and soon Anya was helping Ildri get ready for the celebration that would mark the end of the day. She put Ildri's hair into a flowing style that accentuated the girl's slim face, and then took her leave to find Hanna, who would surely know what she should be doing. She doubted that anyone had noticed her absence, but she did not want to bring suspicion upon herself by acting as if she were avoiding people. She made her way to the great hall.

Anya walked through the serving room and tried to sneak into the hall unnoticed. She was basically successful and she took a position beside Hanna quietly. They stood directly behind the high table where Lord and Lady Wildwood sat together. There were three other servants on the other side of Hanna.

Hanna smiled briefly. "Will you remain here while I go and find a bite to eat?" she asked quietly.

"Of course," agreed Anya, and the other woman slipped away. It was a mark of her growing trust that she would ask such a request of Anya the interloper. Anya felt the stab of shameful pain at how easily she had fooled the inhabitants of Wildwood estate.

Anya looked around the room, trying to pretend that she was interested in the proceedings, but her gaze continually slipped back to Lord Wildwood. She had not yet seen him drink from the goblet that she had poisoned, rather he was drinking from the one that had been filled earlier in the evening. Anya could not help but feel a bit of relief mixed with her fears that her plot might not work.

Certainly Thorne would not let her off so easily, but at least it would give the two some time to be happy together before she was forced to wrench them apart. Anya's stomach felt like rock.

Platters of food were brought out by numerous servants, and Hanna returned quickly. "Thank you," she whispered.

"You're welcome, although it really was nothing."

Hanna smiled again. It seemed that the glitter of the evening was helping her forget all the pressures upon her. Anya was glad that someone could enjoy herself in all the excitement. As Anya watched Hanna's budding enthusiasm she felt ages older than the other maid.