Chapter III

After a while of running I noticed the forest started getting darker.  That is when I realized...I have gone so much deeper into the forest than I ever have before.  The sun was also starting to fade into the western sky.  Leaving no light to show me a path through the forest...not that there was ever one anyway.

I here a rustle of leaves behind me and I quickly turn around with a gasp.  Scared of the unknown, but even more scared of the thought.  I quickly grab a stick and hold it in the direction of the sound.  But just as I did I notice the sun had been setting causing the light to shift in the trees.  I squinted my eyes at the slow movement.  Then I noticed that it was a mama doe with her fawn.

I smiled at there innocence.  The hadn't even recognized I was here.  I had seen so much in my life, yet innocence is something that you come across too often.  And when a tear slips down my face, I know.  I know it is a tear of happiness of the reminder that everyone and everything is not evil, are not mean.  That there are truly innocent lives that live today, they are just more scarce than ever before.

I hear a howl in the distance and immediately become afraid.

Because I know that a coyote doesn't howl like that...the howl that I just heard was the howl of a wolf.

I run toward the nearest tree and climb as fast as I can.  holding on the the limbs with all my might.

I cry out as I suddenly slip and my hand is gashed.  The pain hurts...more than the slap this afternoon.  I cry harder when I have to grab onto the next branch with my injured hand.  The tears flow freely as I keep climbing, trying to ignore the constant pain in my hand and throb in my cold toes.

As night falls the air is getting colder, causing my breath to come out in cold ragged breaths with smoke like air.

When I reach a fairly good height in the tree, where the is a big wide limb is supporting me, I turn around and sit with my back against the tree.  Once I feel comfortable I pull my hand up to inspect it.

What I see I do not like and immediately become concerned.  It has dirt and flacks of tree bark in the gash, from climbing the tree.

I try to wipe some if the particles away but, it only causes me more pain.  So, I just pull my hand to me and cradle it to my chest.

I suddenly hear the howling start up again, but this time I am quick to cup my ears to see where it is coming from.

Only, it sounds like it is coming from all directions?...I questionably think to myself confused.

Then all of a sudden...the howling stops.

Now I am really confused, I think.  They were all just howling and...

I am stopped mid-thought when I hear sticks breaking, and leaves crunching in the distance.

I try to lean toward the sound, to get out of the blind spot that the tree branch was causing. But I accidentally put too much pressure on my hurt hand. Causing me to cry out in pain. My natural reflex willed me to let go, and without thinking...that's exactly what I did.

As I felt myself tilting backward, I knew my mistake immediately and my eyes widened as tried to grab onto the closest branch. But, just as my fingers skimmed it, I was falling. Unable to get ahold of the branch

I tumbled out of the tree hitting a few branches along the way before I was met with a cold, hard ground.

I felt a lightning bolt of pain shot through my back, down my tailbone and radiated through my neck and legs. I sobbed out a scream pathetically. But as I heard the sounds of nearby leaves rustling, I quitted and tried to listen. Afraid of my next move.

But I soon I forgot about my intense pain as I remembered the breaking sticks from a while ago.

Maybe it is the wolf I heard just a couple of minutes ago...but then again, that sounded like more than one. My breath hitched at the thought.

I cannot fight off one wolf let alone more than one...oh God I should have never left. I may have been terrified of what my foster mother would have done to me...or even worse Ben. But anything that they could have done would have been better than being torn to shreds by a wolf pack.

All my thoughts cease when I hear a growl, and the slight sound of bones cracking, I quickly turned around. What I saw next made me immediately faint. But, not before hearing the faint sound of the word I never expected..."MINE"...

COMMENT

SHARE WITH FRIENDS

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE PLEASE

ADD TO LIBRARY, COME BACK FOR UPDATES

i LOVE ALL MY READERS....THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!